Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 25-06-2003 , 11:48 AM
dude.. you kick ass user added image love the detail..
and a your first nurbs thingy? hard to belive user added image

sleep is for lam3rs
# 47 25-06-2003 , 04:02 PM
Subscriber
Hey howard, i also love the stars you have added to the balloon.. but i think the balloons color still looks default grey.. i may be wrong tho. I think some patchwork would be cool user added image. Anyways, other than that... i love your metal plated objects and the green glow coming from inside the telescopes and stuff user added image. Keep up the great work.. hope you get that new computer.. i know what your talking about.. this computer was the same way.. but once i changed the soundcard everything was fine user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 48 26-06-2003 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
thnx for the support guys!

I got the new computer! and finally worked through some licensing issues( shout out to the guys at Alias!) I now have 5.0!! ... cant wait to try out the vector rendering... and mental ray...

--------------------------

M- You are right 'bout the balloon looking dull, you and Ad give some of the best crits. I worked a bit on texturing tonight- I have the basic balloon base texture and need to add the stars and seams in the material. I also Made a "map" texture and worked on the sand bags too

still dont kn ow how I am going to make my flames?!!?

how many days do we have left? *gulp* user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 26-06-2003 , 04:07 AM
Subscriber
and this... not too different than the earlier render --

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 26-06-2003 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
could I use paint effects to make fire? I have never tried them yet, can you modify the colors to get a green flame?

# 51 26-06-2003 , 04:54 AM
I believe you can.
Don´t know for sure .. but being a Maya feature I guess you could.

Very good work by the way mate.
Love the map! user added image

# 52 26-06-2003 , 05:01 AM
The Maya Mountain
nice details.

Paint FX fire isn't all the impressive looking, at least, it wasn't when last I messed with it.

I think you'd have better results with particles.

# 53 26-06-2003 , 05:04 AM
Mike has a very good point.

Perhaps you could actually draw it in as a sprite, and insert it in a plane that would always face the camera.
I don´t know, but maybe it could give it a pseudo illustrated look to the whole concept. If it doesn´t work, then it was just another idea. user added image

# 54 26-06-2003 , 06:20 AM
theres a free flame tut on SM. Take that, but make it a rectangle instead of a circle. It would work.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 55 26-06-2003 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
I was wondering how you made the gold texture for your scopes. Thats the same look im looking for for one of my animations im doing.

# 56 26-06-2003 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
He said he found it the GOLD at www.highend3d.com a great site with tutorials and textures galore!

If you wanted the do it you'reself way you could try a yellowish colored blinn, or phong, play with reflection and specular attributes. Have fun!

Howard the map tex is great, and GL with the flames, water and fire are the HAREDST things to do in 3d............

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 57 26-06-2003 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
Thanks i'll look at the site and try it out.

# 58 26-06-2003 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber
Looking great Howard! One weeny thing, is the map a bit small compared with the eyepieces on the telescopes? Might just be the angle.

Lovely shape to the whole thing.

# 59 27-06-2003 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
Thanx guys-

I am staying away from paint effect as per Mikes suggestion ( really I am just too lazy to learn PFX right now user added image) and I tried the method ADL suggested for the flame. I used a poly plane with a map loaded in to the shader.

Witchy your totally right about the map size- I will bump it up a bit. ( Your model is coming out really nice Bud!!)

also threw a star field in the background for the fun of it user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 27-06-2003 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber
.... closer....

Attached Thumbnails