Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 61 29-03-2007 , 06:55 PM
Banned
Heres some progress, Had a busy week filling for a store-man @ parents work. Only had little time to work on maya, Thought i would post a pic to those plane experts to see if my proportions are correct before i add detail.
FourRiders: Cheers , yep the plane was on a angle when i took the render, will re-render.
Gazza: Nice plane bro! keep going. Show me when you get a texture onto it.
Thanks marlonjohn and farbtopf: good to hear from people it looks good.

Attached Thumbnails
# 62 30-03-2007 , 09:32 AM
Subscriber
nice stuff so far user added image no crits atm ...

# 63 03-04-2007 , 01:45 AM
Banned
Thanks marlonjohn
Finished modeling the plane. Did not worry about modeling the interior since i don't think it will show up in my renders. Only interior modeled was the gun in the back. Will move onto texturing it when i have time.

Attached Images
# 64 07-04-2007 , 01:50 PM
Banned
Have finished uv unwrapping - took up most of my easter sunday - going real solid. Posting just while i begin my texturing. If anyone has any idea how to texture better. Please tell me, i really want to improve.
Going for the desert camo.

Attached Thumbnails
# 65 07-04-2007 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
That's looking pretty good Meredith, I like the rivets.

Do you primarily model using polys or nurbs and polys?

What reference do you use?

I must get back to my Hurricane, I gotta fix the undercarriage, wing roots, cockpit and some of the finer details...

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 66 11-04-2007 , 10:14 AM
Banned
Thanks, yep learnt most of the texturing from your tutorials user added image. I use sometimes nurbs and sometimes poly to get the real rough shape then add finer detail after roughed out. Used reference from sunderland.com - real good reference. Really like the look of your hurricane, you should post up your WIP.
Does the main under coat look like it should? All i have is one pic of the dessert color. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 13-04-2007 , 05:46 PM
Banned

# 68 13-04-2007 , 07:55 PM
Acid44
wow when i looked at the first post i was like" oh no another shitty model" then i started scrollin down and when i got to the bottom i was like" holly hell that got good"

in other words: nice model man the detail is beautifuluser added image

# 69 14-04-2007 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber

" oh no another shitty model"

Don't they all start like that user added image

Doing well there Meredith, I had a look for desert camouflage for you yesterday but had no luck (it was a quick look).

I am tempted to get back to my Hurricane but I have too much else going on at the mo. as for mental ray - I have never really used it and know diddle squat about it...

Gazzamataz
# 70 14-04-2007 , 03:29 AM
Subscriber
Don't wanna hijack your post Meredith but I am curious about smoothing...

Have a look at the image below. I have smoothed some of the model but it has rounded all of the edges (I knew it would), but if I ask it to keep hard edges it doesn't really smooth...

What do you do?

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz
# 71 16-04-2007 , 09:33 AM
Banned
Hey all.
Wow thanks acid, yep i thought it would be a shitty one aswell. But u learn soo much on ur own - was looking out for ur mclaren that u where modeling last year - except you stoped :angery:, was looking real good.
Thanks Gaza - yep they all start crap. Mental ray - yeah its enjoying. Have got a desert scene set up for the 2 planes, but don,t know how to get this lat long working.
With your hurricane, its all to do with your edges on model. Really simply put, edges together will give a sharper edge.
update on the stuka.

Attached Images
# 72 19-04-2007 , 01:41 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
looks nice meredith, and gazamataz if you"ll go back to your rough model, delete half of it and replace this half with a smooyh proxy, so you can create sharper edges where you want them to be.
good luck to the both of youuser added image

# 73 25-04-2007 , 12:24 AM
Banned
Have had i bit more time too almost finish off my planes. Am still learning bout rendering, but have got most of it sorted. I guess no one knows about my mental ray problem since there has been 70 views and no replies. So i've just used my own hdri from a orangy colored room. Just another render, added some paint effects. Added to a dunes photo i've found. Will add symbols to the german plane and add in the polikarpov (maybe some smoke) in the next couple of days. I have a real slow comp still :headbang:
Cheers for your comments mastone.

Attached Images
# 74 25-04-2007 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
Meredith

Nice looking image but I have serious doubts that even with a sand filter that Stuka could be flying in that sort of sand storm...

One other thing, I don't think there where any Polikarpovs serving in North Africa with any air force.

user added image

But, hey! this is 3D and fantasy world! You can put what you like in if you're not bothered by historical fact. Should look good anyway specially if you have the Stuka smokin'

Gazzamataz
# 75 25-04-2007 , 07:54 AM
Banned
cheers gazza
Yep i knew someone would point that out. I was thinking i could put it into a snow scene, but then the desert stuka would stand out. O well at the moment its just for my rendering skills.
Hows the hurricane going?