Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 76 09-09-2005 , 05:36 AM
hey man. i have started to create facial expressions with the hlep of softmodification tool. it does make the job very easy. but, there is a new problem.
say, i created a blendshape for the squinting of right eye. then, i created another for left eye squint. then, next i create the frown of the left eyebrow. when i do this, it sort of overrides the squinting of the eyes. so, when i make left eye frown blendshape value to 1; even though the left eye and right eye squint are also at 1, the effect is gone. so that when i make the left eyebrow frown, the squinting of the eyes is gone... any idea how to fix this???

ps. i hope it is not improper for me to ask you questions here...

# 77 09-09-2005 , 05:44 AM
Subscriber
hmm kinda hard to understand what you mean. But blend shapes are fairly touchy, doesnt take much to screw it up. Make sure you make all your mods first. eg, del your history. make 5 duplicates of your orginal head, and line them up in a row. Now dont touch your orginal at all. Go to the second duplicate in the row, and make the facial, then the third and so on. Once you have them all, shift click on the one on the end of the row and work your way back selecting them all, and the last one select should be the orginal head. Then create the blend shape.

I think maybe what you are doing is creating some blendshape, then duplicating the head again, this will screw it up. If you are going to go back and keep dupliacting the orginal head, makesure you delete your history every time before you create the blend shape.

I dont mind you asking user added image i know what its like not being able to find the answer to your question. :headbang:

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 78 09-09-2005 , 11:51 AM
didnĀ“t read, just watched your pics. great job man!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 79 09-09-2005 , 04:37 PM
hey antiant, you were right. the problem was indeed history.
see, to create blendshapes, i save the original file with a new name. then, i do the modification. then i import it into the scene, apply blendshape, and then delete the new file. all i had to do was to delete the history of each new file before importing it into the original.
today i finished the blendshapes for the eyes, eyebrows and the corners of the lips.
thanks a lot for replying so quickly. you saved my day...

# 80 10-09-2005 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
hey no problem, glad you got it going. If you have a WIP link , i would like to see what your doing.

# 81 10-09-2005 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber
Hi everyone.
Thanks for everyones crits and support. Look like this is going to go on of along time yet. Ive desided to a tarzan scene in the jungle. I have modled the elephant, and will post it shortly. still needs some work.
Ok

I have done some hair. Please let me know what you think, I think it looks a bit straigt i will wind blow it a bit, and take of some specular. My render times have gone to about 5 mins a render now with the hair compaired to none. The hair is about 50,000 poly.

cheers all

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by antiant; 10-09-2005 at 04:37 PM.
# 82 10-09-2005 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber
cool, tarzans hair is brown tho

# 83 10-09-2005 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
haha yes, a simple mistake but a very important one user added image i will change.:attn:

# 84 11-09-2005 , 06:24 PM
hey antiant,
i have posted my model under the thread Hobbes in the WIP section.
let me have your crits man...

# 85 12-09-2005 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
Hi guys,
Ive done some textureing to the body now, and made some changes to the stomic, making him a bit more buff, and showing some tendons on the sides.
Next im going to paint some wieghts and put him in the position i need for the scene.
I think the spec maps need more work, but im not going to work on them until i get the final lighting setup for the scene.
Clothes are comming soon, you wont have to keep seeing his personals, if you know what i mean user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 86 12-09-2005 , 04:13 AM
The model is looking excellent. I just noticed something peculiar about his... bean sacks.. Not too sure what it is. Oh well, maybe it's just me. Great job!

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 87 12-09-2005 , 04:17 AM
Subscriber
hahahah
His bean sack! Dont know i guess your refuring to his ball sack. lol..
Im not sure, it could be a little wrong, i didnt study it too much haha
Anyhow hes got some clothes now, so you wont see it, i will post them shortly.

# 88 12-09-2005 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
give him a couple of scars and dirt, id give him more body hair aswell :p Did you hear about that guy aaaaages ago who was apparently brought up by monkeys and he was realy hairy cos of the diet he was eating or something...

# 89 12-09-2005 , 05:13 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Looks okay but I think youll find that the space between his thighs and behind his spuds is too far apart.

Tweak the thighs and the proportion will look better.

Jay

# 90 13-09-2005 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
hi all
Stayed up all night working on his face mostly cause someone said he was ugly , and we cant have an ugly Tarzan.
So i think he a bit of a stud muffin now. Lowered his eyes, defined his daw, bulked up the bottom lip, new eyebrows, worked on the eyes.
Gave him some hair on chest and started with his outfit. Also put a few scars on him, across his chest and stomic but are hard to see, so maybe i will make them a bit more ovious.
I hope his tan doesnt look to fake. hmm.

Attached Thumbnails