Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-12-2004 , 10:57 PM

Is it normal?

Hi!

I just want to know how many polys usually have a movie production quality model (high res). I know its a stupid question but I made a very detailed model so I wasnt worried about the poly count! The one more reson is because I wanted to sculpt (using sculpt tool) all the fine details on skin relief wich will make it look more organic!

Ok...here it goes...heds up display shows 51472 faces!

Is this normal, or I'm not...?

Sorry for my English!

# 2 28-12-2004 , 11:51 PM
it might be just a bit high but with out seeing the wires i cant tell for sure... I know most of my high res meshes are about 20,000

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 29-12-2004 , 11:08 AM
Ok...here's shaded, wireframe and lowpoly version!

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 29-12-2004 , 11:24 AM
By the way big thanx to UpinSmoke for giving the reference!!! :-)

# 5 29-12-2004 , 05:19 PM
I see that you have smoothed it at least 2 as much as needed. I thing to smooth it once is enaugh to get a high quality model.

nice model too (Y)

Noo0ooB... beginner... novice... newby... I'am new ! ! !

VERY BAD ENGLISH !
# 6 29-12-2004 , 06:13 PM
Thanks for advice!

Yes level of one is enough for body but for head, neck and maybe foot isn't, but since I cant hide those different parts with other objects to be seperated geometry I must put the same subdiv level of 2 on the whole model!
Model is not jet finished still a lot of work to do specialy in the neck area, thats why I need hi poly count but not this much..I think so!

I could use the displacement map but how much it will faster render time comparing to high res geometry?

# 7 30-12-2004 , 02:58 PM
Honestly -- are you really too concerned with having high/low poly models? For my animations I really don't spend too much time optimizing -- because the time I spend making it quicker to render is more than the difference in the two rendering times -- so I just click batch render and hope for the best.

If you're doing it for a company, however, then thats a different story.

# 8 30-12-2004 , 11:38 PM
Thank you all!

No its not for any company just for my humble soul and tirsty eyes. Well I'll just animate the creature anh hope for the best! :-)