Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-10-2008 , 09:18 PM

video into maya as texture, Please help

hi every maya users

I am trying to import video into maya scene on this sphere ,
I have 2 video of 30 sec , I would like to apply the video into this faces as texture, so when the sphere rotate(animation) the video plays as well,
could you please guid me what is the best way, I went through all the forums around regarding video into maya, but still I need your help.
here is the image that explain what really i need.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-10-2008 , 09:29 PM
easy.

layout UVs for both of the faceGroups. maybe use planar projection with "Best Plane" checked in the optionsbox. then assign a different shader to each faceGroup. in the shader map Color with the first file of your image sequence. I don´t know if maya plays complete films like avi etc. but if not use a image sequences of PNG, Targa, or even JPG maybe.

for maya showing Image Sequences there is a very specific naming convention for the imageFiles. AVOID! -> [_] (underscores) and use [.] (points) like filename.number.extension
otherwise maya can´t read them properly and just shows black space.

movie.475.png

It took me quite some time myself to find out XD, because I am used to underscores usually.

in the file texture node click Image Sequence instead of image.

render

done

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by Falott; 08-10-2008 at 09:32 PM.
# 3 08-10-2008 , 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Falott
for maya showing Image Sequences there is a very specific naming convention for the imageFiles. AVOID! -> [_] (underscores) and use [.] (points) like filename.number.extension
otherwise maya can´t read them properly and just shows black space.

movie.475.png

It took me quite some time myself to find out XD, because I am used to underscores usually.

Same here, took quite a bit of head scratching to figure it out!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 08-10-2008 , 11:12 PM
thanks guys for replay, I did what you guys said, it is look great on the scene, but can be render only with mayasoftware, mental-ray comes black

# 5 09-10-2008 , 01:02 AM
mr cant read dds format if that´s what you´re using.

try png maybe

# 6 09-10-2008 , 01:11 AM
I got it to work with mental-ray now, I import the iff file , but it can not be seen in prsp view (black goe), it is shows the images only when I render it,
so I need work on the images(adjust), but can not be shown in prsp view, same as bumpmap(when you apply bumpmap to the goe, it shows the result only when you render it,

so I need your guys help if you have some experience with this section,

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 09-10-2008 , 01:50 AM
I got idee , instead of apply to different material to this faces and video, I put the 2 video together in AE and make it one so in this way much easy work on it, but there is few things that i should care of it, the video shouldn't stretch on the faces, what do you suggest?

should I
-apply the uv's map?
-flat the uv's
-work on the first image sequence in photo shop?

any idee?

p.s the video is just test

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 09-10-2008 , 01:50 AM
you have to make your perspView show textures. in the perspective panel und shading -> textures

# 9 09-10-2008 , 01:51 AM
play with projecting uvs and the UVeditor