Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-08-2014 , 09:16 PM

Peter Tosh in Trench Town

So one of my big idols are Peter tosh, and in 3D, he is my WIP, aswell as the enviroment which will be Trench town, jamaica (peter's hometown). The idea with this is to put peter tosh in a scene where most of the stuff he's representing will be shown, I want to show the dirty, dry and horrific enviroment that he had to live through. My ideas are flowing through as im moving on this scene.

For the pose of peter, i am going to sit him down somewhere with a quite sad but hopeful and thoughtful expression, because i've always had this image in my head from my favourite song "pick myself up" in which i will try to recreate.

Note that this is the first fully complete character model i've made that im happy with (so dont complain about the anatomy, because im happy with it as it is, and ive done my best to get the best topology+anatomy for this model), it will be challenging for me to create clothes for him, also the details in his head which i will be using Mudbox to create. Im using Arnold, which im also trying to learn since its pretty new for me.

I have also rigged him, this is also my first time rigging a whole character, so this will not be the best, but since i'll have clothes over him the rigging dont have to be 100%. but im trying to get it as good as i can atleast

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 2 19-08-2014 , 08:14 PM
Lifetime Member
I like it user added image Good job on his teeth!

# 3 20-08-2014 , 07:11 PM
Thanks Richardvbr!

updates:

Some stuff textured, some objects added, worked on that watchtower the whole day, and in my 3D world mag i somewhere saw a tool to splatter wood, which i want to do for more realism, just gotta find that magazine :p Ill start making all objects, then destroying them a litle in mudbox, the house should not be this perfect in shape, nor the watchtower

user added image

i've also been working on a rusty old car, which i have 8k pixel textures for, so that = super slow rendering .. might have to make them 4k user added image

user added image

(printscreen from viewport 2.0, spec/bump isnt shown on this)

to do: splatter the wood, create neighbror houses, a road behind the first half watchtower and some fences/blocks etc.. also some extra objects to lay around, like a unicycle, guitar, football, drums (peter used to ride one)... also a badass garage for the car i made user added image

user added image

this render only took me about 3 hours+ .....
working on a road behind the house

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 20-08-2014 at 10:22 PM.
# 4 20-08-2014 , 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah you're going to eat up system resources and hike up render times if you have textures that are larger than needed. This bit that Alex Alvarez talks about gets linked a lot, check it out.

- Genny
# 5 21-08-2014 , 10:34 AM
i noticed that gen, had a render going on for 3 hours yesterday so this is worth checking out right now user added image thanks buddy

Gen, is it smart to save images as .jpg then adjust the file size to something that is fine? i stayed under 6 mb for each texture that way. got one texture that was 126 mb when i saved as .png haha..... :p

also i made the texture size based on how big the object is, ground is 8k and the car is 4k for example.. is that smart?

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 21-08-2014 at 12:09 PM.
# 6 22-08-2014 , 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Keep a backup copy textures as high a quality as you can afford. If an image loses too much information artifacts can show up in some cases. You can save out lower res version whenever you need.

- Genny
# 7 23-08-2014 , 01:22 AM
Allright, thanks again gen user added image is texture filtering something to worry about? in the link you provided earlier with Alex Alvarez, he mentions texture filters, and i belive ive heard on tutorials its useful to turn filtering off, what do you think? (i have no clue whatsoever what texture filtering is)

updates:
user added image

Made a unicycle today, pretty damn happy with this. also added some objects to cover under the house, and planks around the house, which i used random effector in cinema 4d for. still WIP though.

user added image

I made a road and a wall (not textured yet) and palm tree's! refraction map for the leaves

I wonder why the tree is taking so long to render ... maybe its the refraction map, or shadows ... ill have a look at it anyways

user added image now textured

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 24-08-2014 at 06:04 PM.