Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-09-2014 , 07:04 AM

how to do this?

Hi all,

I am wondering which tools or workflow would be the best to get this right.
I am trying to "shove" objects over, or along, an existing curve.

example: starting with a bunch of poly-cylinders and non-linear twisting them, I get a cable, the center still being a straight line. Now I would like to drape this cable along a skull.

Next I draw a cv curve on a skull ( skull set to live) - no worries here.

After this, I would like to get my cable follow nicely along my curve.
I tried with wire-deformer, but this deforms at certain areas, breaks up in others... doesn't look like the right tool.

Also I tried to extrude a cylinder along this curve, works well but does not offer same degree flexibility in modelling the cable ( tapering the ends etc).

Any ideas? Many thanksuser added image

Jill

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-09-2014 , 02:28 PM
Lifetime Member

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 20-09-2014 , 09:49 PM
create a set of cylinders, delete some parts so you end up with only cylinder-caps, combine them all, add a curve to drive them, select the mesh + the curve and extrude, add divisions and twist to it

user added image

I remember i did this for this characters hair https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalma...type=1&theater

allthough i dont remember how i got a equal twist to his hair, somehow (in the animation tab) i subdivided the curve to have equal distance between the divisions, which made the twisting part look the way i wanted to. (you will notice what im talking about if you try this)

to have them closing together in the beginning and end just select the mesh and with soft selection you can scale the beginning+end vertexes in X/Z direction

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 20-09-2014 at 09:58 PM.