Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-08-2008 , 08:09 AM

Rendering questions

Is there a way to stop Maya from rendering without exiting Maya itself? I accidentally started a "test" render at production quality for 1280X1024 but I don't want to discard the changes I made. problem is the render takes half an hour already and it's not even at 25%.

Another question - based on this time consuming experience I'm going to need it - how do you optimize a render speed-wise without loosing quality?

Thanks in advance,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 2 26-08-2008 , 08:16 AM
Subscriber
hitting escape should stop it.

It depends what you are trying to render, if you have a lot a shader work going on and shadows refractions etc it will always take a while to render no matter what.

# 3 26-08-2008 , 08:35 AM
Thanks, you just saved me 1:30:00 of useless render... I tried to render some Fluid effect actually. don't know why it took so long.

Thanks again,
Benny

My latest snake game
# 4 26-08-2008 , 08:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Optimizing render times depends on a lots of little things, it also depends on which renderer you might be using.
A good principle to work on though is don't render stuff that you don't need (sounds simple right )but what I mean is don't use raytrace shadows if depth map will do.You could render in layers and only render the parts that need raytracing on one layer.
Don't use more photons than is needed or use ambient occlusion instead of final gather.
optimize your lights in scene.
If you are using particles try to limit them by giving them a lifespan.
A good rule of thumb is try a small number for what ever you are doing and then double it and test and repeat until you get what you need, at this time start cutting back to find the optimum amount you need.
There are many other ways too but some are renderer specific.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 26-08-2008 , 08:54 AM
I'm not using mental ray so much of it doesn't apply to me but I have another question - is there a way to lower the resolution for a specific object or something similar? or do I have to find the relevant attributes for each object if there are such?

Thanks again,
Benny

My latest snake game
# 6 26-08-2008 , 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by BennyK
I'm not using mental ray so much of it doesn't apply to me but I have another question - is there a way to lower the resolution for a specific object or something similar? or do I have to find the relevant attributes for each object if there are such?

Thanks again,
Benny

I don't quite understand that question. I think you could be looking for render layers or possibly some AA overrides.

- Genny
# 7 26-08-2008 , 10:33 AM
LOL nvm that, I finally found out i need to think a bit and plan ahead (and not create a fluid container [for fog on the horizon] the size of my entire scene :headbang: ).

another question (experimenting at it's best causes lots of mishaps) :
Can certain features in the render settings turn off rendering of PaintEffects ? (edit: enable stroke rendering is on)

Thanks in advance,
Benny

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 26-08-2008 at 10:37 AM.
# 8 26-08-2008 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
are you wanting to not render what you made with paintfx?
you could just turn their primary visibily in the render stats in he attribute editory to off

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 26-08-2008 , 08:54 PM
No, I was trying to RENDER the PaintEffects, but for some reason they weren't (rendered). I just ended up converting them to polygons since I need the Ray-Trace shadows anyway (I understood I cant get those with PaintEffects. Can I?)
Benny

My latest snake game
# 10 03-09-2008 , 04:32 AM
Banned
faewgfd

# 11 10-09-2008 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
*macks head againest table*

after ALL this TIME, i could have just pressed esc? why didnt anyone tell me ... user added image

# 12 11-09-2008 , 06:38 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by marlonjohn
*macks head againest table*

after ALL this TIME, i could have just pressed esc? why didnt anyone tell me ... user added image

it says it on the status bar.... user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 13 11-09-2008 , 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
it says it on the status bar.... user added image

It does?!

Man, I waited hours for mental ray to render my unoptimized, improperly set up renders...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!