Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-04-2007 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber

medusa

Me and my class mates have the task of taking a scene and making it better and more up to date from a movie. WE picked clash of the titans the medusa scene.I don't know how to start the medusa model. Should I find a reference side and front of a real woman then then model model her with a ball head and just the upper part of her body.Should I model the snakes that is her hair seperate then parent them to the head or make it one piece. Where is a royalty free reference site to find images side and front for realistic modeling.I forgot to mention I don't do character modeling and have only tried two so far the whole two years I have been in school doing 3d. I have focused on environments.So sorry if this seems like a dumb question to a lot of you more experienced character modelers.Unfortunately the school I go to does not concentrate totally on 3d so I have only had like 4 3d classes in 2 years, the rest have been all video,audio and special effects. I have learned mostly everything on my own. A steep price for how expensive this school is. Guess I am really paying for the right to say I have a bachelors degree from the school.Sorry I'm rambling I am frustrated I graduate in two months and I don't feel like I am at a level that I should be for the money I spent going to school.

# 2 30-04-2007 , 10:36 AM
Are you going to animate this model or is it just a screen shot? I think that might determine how others on this forum will advise you. Sounds like you've got quite a challenge ahead of you. As far as modeling goes, I think you're definitely better off with using a reference. You mentione royalties, are you planning to do something commercial with this project?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 30-04-2007 , 12:39 PM
Subscriber
yes it will have to animate.No it wont be commercial just for school and portfolio use only.

# 4 30-04-2007 , 04:13 PM
I would say that your in luck, CGtalk finished a movie themed challenge in the hardcore modeling section, and there were a few medusa's on that.

Also Tweetytunes did a medusa for a challenge not so long ago, you could do a search for it and possibly use that for some ideas on the toplogy etc etc

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 30-04-2007 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
yer I did her 2 challenges ago (I didn`t Finnish Medusa .... but it was close)

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=24487

feel free to use the w.i.p as a guild.

I started with real woman reference.

I warn you mind Medusa is a hard character to do.
Anyway whats wrong with that scene - why does it need remaking theres nothing wrong with it.

The sad thing is I heared the other day that they are remaking the whole thing ( booooo - leave it alone)

Last edited by tweetytunes; 30-04-2007 at 06:45 PM.
# 6 02-05-2007 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
my part in the project has gotten a little bit easier.I only have to model the head now. My question though is should I model the head first then the snakes second and parent the snakes to the head for easier texturing and animation or will it look more realistic with the whole model as one piece.

# 7 02-05-2007 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
I would do both.

Start with a womans head.

Model the snakes

Then work them in to the head once you got them where you want them