Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-08-2005 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber

Nokia 7710

I didn't want to post this yet, but since I need a little assistance, it seems I have to...

It's a model of my new phone, a Nokia 7710, and my first real attempt at modeling in NURBS. So far they haven't caused me as much trouble as I'd thought they would, but I've had to start over a few times already user added image

On to the problem. While working on the back of the phone, I need to create a surface from the two curves in the attached pic. I've tried cutting the round parts from the planar in the big curve, and then using Birail and Planar to create two seperate surfaces, but in my test render you can see that it's seperate pieces.

Can anyone tell me how to create the surface from the two original curves, or how to attach the two surfaces or somehow make the split invisible?

The red circles show the non-planar part of the curve...

Attached Thumbnails

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 2 22-08-2005 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
Here's how I've done it, 5 curves total:

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 22-08-2005 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
And here's how the render turns out, as you can see there's a slight difference in how the two surfaces are illuminated:

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 22-08-2005 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
And in case anyone's interested, here's a progress shot:

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 24-08-2005 , 12:32 AM
You can't really create a NURBS surface out of just two curves. I suggest attaching the two surfaces you have using the Edit NURBS>Attach Surfaces command (I think that's it, anyway). First select the adjoining isoparms on the two surfaces, and then run the command. You may need to reverse the direction of one of the surfaces (I doubt you'll really need to though). This will give you a nice smooth transition. If you hit the option box on the command you can choose whether or not to keep the original surfaces, as well as some other options I believe. Arguably the best way to do what you are doing, though, is to use surface trims to remove the indentation at the top, rather than trying to have one contiguous curve around the left, upper, and right edges of the surface. Create the left, right, upper, and lower boundaries, then do one of the several operations for creating a surface from four curves (birail, square, etc.). Then project the indentation curve onto the resulting surface and do a trim to get rid of the unneeded area. Hope this helps.

# 6 24-08-2005 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
Thanks alot, I'll have a look at it and post updates ASAP! user added image

# 7 24-08-2005 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
Problem solved, on to the next one user added image

Can someone tell me why my attempt to loft between two curves ends up like this?!

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 24-08-2005 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
I believe that's called a "bow tie" effect... caused by mis-mapping of CVs/EPs. Basically the lines are going in two different directions. In the loft options check "auto reverse" and try the loft again, that should fix this.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 9 24-08-2005 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
Just checked, Auto-Reverse is on, and turning it off doesn't make it any better... user added image

# 10 24-08-2005 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
can you post the file?

# 11 25-08-2005 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
Here ya go, just cleaned it up a bit (it had a lot of curves!), so it's just the needed curves that are left...

It's in 6.0

Attached Files
File Type: mb loft_prob.mb (79.2 KB, 187 views)

# 12 25-08-2005 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
Ok, got it, one of your curves is messed up. I duplicted the problem curve and moved it forward to show how the CVs look when moved. This curve is actually a closed loop that originates in the middle.

The good news the other curve is fine. Delete problem curve, dup the good curve, then loft with duplicated curve.

Tip: Learn to identify curve directions. The first CV of a curve is indicated by a square, the second is "U" shaped (indicated the line "U" direction). On the good curve you'll notice these indicators at one end of the curve. On the bad curve the are in the middle of curve.

Attached Thumbnails