Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-02-2004 , 10:12 PM

Merging Vertices

how do you do it.. i cant figure it out for the life of me... i shift click two vertices i want and hit merge but nothing happens, its probly not that simple but i wish it was, can somebody please give me a step by step process of how to do this.. i've messed with the distances and everything but nothing

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 2 01-02-2004 , 10:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
If the vertices are not a part of the same object, it won't merge. Otherwise, it should just be a matter of distance.

# 3 01-02-2004 , 10:15 PM
ohhh... yeah that would be my problem, if there two different object how can i merge the two parts together so it will act is if they've always been one?

# 4 01-02-2004 , 10:17 PM
The Maya Mountain
Select both objects, Edit Polygons > Combine. Then you can merge vertices.

# 5 01-02-2004 , 10:25 PM
OHHH.. ok yeah... now i know what you guys were talking about in my last thread i didnt understand before... but i got now.. THANKS SO MUCH.. you guys are awesome

# 6 01-02-2004 , 10:43 PM

another problem

whenever i convert to sub divisions this is what it does, it started doin it after i had to clean up some non manifold areas

Attached Images

# 7 01-02-2004 , 11:34 PM
here's my file if anyone can figure out my geometry... it was weill planned out when i first started so things are a little messed up

Attached Files
File Type: mb monster.mb (108.1 KB, 147 views)

# 8 02-02-2004 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
Take a look at the attached file and try converting to subd's, use the defalt settings. Some of your edges needed terminating correctly and you also had a couple of split vertices on the top of the model.

Attached Files
File Type: mb monsterclean.mb (99.0 KB, 157 views)