Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 27-05-2005 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber
if you get stuck i can email you/post a scene file that shows what its suppost to look like through the steps

First year 3D Grad
# 17 27-05-2005 , 07:44 PM
Subscriber

if you get stuck i can email you/post a scene file that shows what its suppost to look like through the steps

That would be great..

or if you could have a look at my scene as it is now, and maybe tell me what´s wrong? I thought it looked right for a long time, but I can´t get the next set of 6-siders to fit in...

I´m starting to get an idea that there´s something fundamentally wrong.

It´s really not good for my faith in my modelling skills that something as apparently simple as a soccer ball can cause so many problems, but I guess there´s a lesson to be learned in that too hehe.

Anyway, you´ve been great so far so maybe you could have look at my scene?

Attached Files
File Type: mb fodbold2.mb (62.2 KB, 202 views)

------------------------------------------------
Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
# 18 27-05-2005 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by MixX
That would be great..

or if you could have a look at my scene as it is now, and maybe tell me what´s wrong? I thought it looked right for a long time, but I can´t get the next set of 6-siders to fit in...

I´m starting to get an idea that there´s something fundamentally wrong.

It´s really not good for my faith in my modelling skills that something as apparently simple as a soccer ball can cause so many problems, but I guess there´s a lesson to be learned in that too hehe.

Anyway, you´ve been great so far so maybe you could have look at my scene?

i helped you out a bit on the ball you were working on, you copied the other half but you also have to rotate it.
take a look at the scene file to see what i mean.
i also included the balls starting from start to finish that you should be achieving.

right click save as

https://www.3d-dan.com/crxpics/fodbold3.mb

once you get thoes last holes all filled, select all the polys and go poly>combine
then merge verticies and you are home free

First year 3D Grad
# 19 28-05-2005 , 10:40 AM
Subscriber
Thank you very much. Finally got it.. had a few frustrated hours last night, went to bed, and when I woke up I got it right the first time around, for some absurd reason user added image I love weekends.. normally I never have time to test the ideas I get during the night.

Got a ball finished, and textured it too.. this is the classic "black and white" football, but I´m going to experiment with the texture and see what I can make it do as soon as I´ve posted this.

There´s two pics, the first one is from distance:
user added image

and the other a closeup:
user added image

Dan, you´re The Man user added image (ok sorry for that one, but couldn´t resist...)

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 20 28-05-2005 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
hey. no problem
glad you got it, you definitely need to take a minute and just think about strategy when making something like a soccerball, but once you get it it makes much more sense.

now hopefully when someone else decides they wanna try it they can just pull up this thread and catch on like how you did.

im still looking for a good way to lay stripes around the ball easily with a nice texture, maybe someone can add to this thread and help with the texturing

First year 3D Grad
# 21 28-05-2005 , 10:32 PM
Subscriber
I made this texture today, just didn´t get around to uploading it...

I think it is rather nice:

user added image

The thing I did was to planar map each "patch" separately, though all the 6-sided patches were then placed "on top" of each other in the actual texture, and so were most of the 5-sided ones, apart from the top and bottom 5-sided patches, which were keps unique, for things like the Adidas logo.

Hope it might help a bit. I can´t go into much more detail than that since I´m not really a texturing pro, but I´ll be happy to help in any way I can if you run into some problems.

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 22 29-05-2005 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
yeah, that looks really good, nice work.

First year 3D Grad