Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-04-2007 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber

How would you model this axe?

Hi.

I'm doing a small clip where I need my ogre/orc-like creature wielding an axe. The ogre is modelled and all I need now is its axe.

The axe should look something like this:
hAxe

How would you approach the modelling of this axe? I haven't really done anything like this before and would really like to know how any of you would do it.
Thanks for any replies.

//Emil

# 2 04-04-2007 , 04:18 PM
I would start off with making the handle; a basic cylinder scaled up to make a shaft. After that, I'd throw in some split-edge-loops to make an area where the head of the axe "comes off" from, and make some extrusions.

# 3 05-04-2007 , 09:43 AM
You should specify wheter or not its going to be smoothed. user added image

This is just a rough scetch of how I would've made it(you should have more polygons tho, especialy if its going to be smoothed.)

user added image

I only used create cylinder and extrude so its extremely simple to create. (Asking this question I presume that you are a beginner) user added image

A picture of the orc would be nice.

# 4 05-04-2007 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
Haha. I'm not a complete beginner. The question really was if you would have used polys or NURBS. It's going to be smoothed, yes.

I find it hard to make clean soft lines with polys combined with hard edges. Thats the bad thing with polys I guess, but I haven't really done so much with NURBS, so I wasn't sure on how to do it.

Thanks

# 5 05-04-2007 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
Here's the orc/ogre/troll btw:

user added image

All that's left to do is clothing and texturing.
Feel free to comment and any suggestions are appreciated.

//Emil

# 6 05-04-2007 , 10:11 AM
I recomend that you use polygons, it takes more time to make it look good but at least I feel that you can work more freely with the model.

And when you want that kind of answer you should specify your question. user added image

# 7 05-04-2007 , 11:29 AM

Originally posted by kablink
Haha. I'm not a complete beginner. The question really was if you would have used polys or NURBS.

I'd use poly's for inorganic things such as an axe. The time(s) I would use NURBS would be on things that have smooth, continuous forms, such as living creatures or cars.

When an object is converted from NURBS to polys, it generates a hideous amount of faces, so it's not very game-friendly to model in NURBS. Not to mention that I think no game engines support/use any NURBS geometry; character, car, object/prop or otherwise.

# 8 05-04-2007 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
Here's an early test render:

user added image

# 9 05-04-2007 , 11:57 PM
gr8 work kablink i will also try.