Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-01-2003 , 01:28 AM

smoothing

I made a hammer in Maya. But i want to make the handal rather round, with out deleting the handal, and adding a cylinder. How do i go about doing that...

I've tried, but it like, well...
user added image

# 2 11-01-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
I'm not sure where the adding a cylinder is for, but to smooth an object, if it's a polygon, select it, then choose Polygons>Smooth. If that smooths it too much, you probably only need to smooth a certtain section of the hammer. To do this, right-click on the object and HOLD it down. This will bring up a menu. Select Faces. Now you can select the faces on the object. Select the faces you think should be smoothed. Now, go to Polygons>Smooth.

# 3 11-01-2003 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
or polygons then subdivide user added image
i know which tut you're talking about, and when i just subdivide/smooth certain faces, it tends to look weird, so i just split polys

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 11-01-2003 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
Ah. Nem brought up a good point. It will do you no good to smooth if you don't have enough faces. Observe the image below.

Image1 - This might be what your hammer handle looks like now. It has few faces to work with.
Image2 - Selecting these faces...
Image3 - then smoothing them, will give the handle a weird look. Probably not what your looking for.
Image4 - Using the Subdivide Tool or Split Polygonal Tool will give you more faces to work with.
Image5 - Selecting these faces, then smoothing them will give you a better look.
Image6 - If you want the head of the hammer to be smooth, you shouldn't have much trouble when smoothing.
Image7 - Just make sure you select the right faces...
Image8 - and you get this when you smooth.

# 5 11-01-2003 , 08:58 PM

wow

went all out on that one huu. Thanks. i'll work on it.