Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-01-2005 , 08:33 PM

avoiding texture distortion (update 01/19/05 )

Hi everyone,

I'm modeling a bedroom scene in order to show off some bedding patterns. When I model the comforter, sheets, pillows, etc., and then apply the shader, the texture distorts where the vertices have been pushed and pulled. I need the pattern to follow the folds of the bedding without being squished/stretched. Is this a modeling issue or a texturing issue? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in Advance,
Aaron

Last edited by bonedog; 20-01-2005 at 01:45 AM.
# 2 13-01-2005 , 08:41 PM
If it's poly modeling, have you UV mapped it?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 13-01-2005 , 08:54 PM
NitroLiq,

It is poly model.

I don't know much about UV mapping, but I can see how it would work if you wanted to paint a face on a character, for example. But I've already got a geometric pattern that needs to be placed on a folded and wrinkled bedspread. Would that work? You'll have to pardon my ignorance... I just don't know this stuff.

Thanks,
Aaron

# 4 14-01-2005 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
Since it is a poly, you should UV Map it. With the scene and the UV editor open, you can 'massage" the uv around to fix the areas where the distortion occurs.

For future reference, before bringing in you texture try applying the Checker shader and note where the checkers are being distorted and begin correct the UVs then.

r/ Michael

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 20-01-2005 , 01:42 AM
I applied a planar projection on top, then massaged the UVs to get the sides correct, but when I move the front UVs they just wouldn't line up correctly. I ended up grabbing the front faces and doing another planar projection (from the front this time) but still with no luck. Take a look at the attached image. It may not seem like it, but I've been trying to get this thing right for hours. Also, when you first assign a material to an object what kind of mapping does it use? Sometimes I want to get back to that starting point but I don't know how.

Thanks in Advance
Aaron

user added image

# 6 20-01-2005 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
Planar is meant for flat planes. If you're going to use planar you'll have to do mulitiple projections (sides, top, bottom, ends, etc.) Since your bridge model has multiple sides.

For now, I recommend you use automatic mapping, in the options dialog, set it for less distortion. This will "unwrap" your bridge model. You'll have more pieces but less texture distortion. Imagine unfolding a box so that you can see all six sides at once, this is essentially what you're going to do the model in order to texture.

If it helps, send me your scene file along and I'll do quick layout of the UVs with sample texture.
E-mail me

# 7 21-01-2005 , 06:22 AM
Subscriber
Got a close look at bonedog's UV map and here are two things that are causing distortion with the texture. Since the item is curved, the planar projection is placing the UVs close together in those areas that curve away from the plan of projection. There is also signficant curving in the UV map.

To fix the problem of UVs too close together, try selecting all the UVs and "relaxing" them. You may need to "relax" a couple of times in order to open the spacing up adequately.

As for the curvature, this can be fixed aligning the UVs so that they form straight lines. The final UV map for this will basically be an elongated grid of rectangles (with no curvature).

I'm still learning UV mapping myself and one thing I highly encourage anyone esle learning this is to have a textured view open along with the UV editor so that you can see how editing UVs actually affects the placement of the texture. I've learned a great deal through this experimentation.