Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 391 20-05-2006 , 10:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey gster123

Not a prob, if something is offending the eyes then I'll gladly look into it again

With regard to the creases I found this area difficult to find good reference ie; because of the poses themselves of the woman in this type of 'legging'. So in the end Ive opted for generic creases instead, as with the jacket which will be of leathery texture, it just isnt correct anatomically but instead just it has a generic style that looks neither right nor wrong, if anything they are too pronounced so I'll probably just Artisan it back a little there so the creases arent sticking out too much. The images Ive used are a little vague as to how to position them, because of stances and leg position being different from image to image. But overall in a neutral position like this the crease are barely if not visible at all

So in a nutshell I'm using what I have at my disposal to find a happy balance to achieve a convincing 'cloth-like' look, which hopefully will work once it all comes together as a finished character.

Cheers
Jay

# 392 20-05-2006 , 10:34 PM
No probs man, I understand, when you posted the frontal image I went and had a look for some images myself so I wasnt talking a load of rubbish.. and couldent find much myself but thought i'd point it out as I thought the creases might follow the top of the legs, but from what I saw theres nothing in it, some do some dont!

Better get yourself off to the local stable yard for references!

# 393 20-05-2006 , 10:43 PM
Yeah, its a tough call for that one, so if anyone has some decent refs for riding style leggings post them here please.

The best I had was of Natalie Portman as Padme in Attack of the Clones in that white outfit. But again the creases are pretty much none existant in that area even in an image of her legs bent.

Cheers
Jay

# 394 21-05-2006 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
Just curiously...
Couldn't you Do something along the lines, of model it with no creases at all, and .. make it so the clothes have a collision with the flesh, and it'll automatically adjust the creases as the model is posed in any position?..
or am i...talking rubbish about a part of modelig i have yet to learn anythign about...Which.....coincidentally.. is true..
o.O

G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 395 21-05-2006 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
been watching this WIP for months now, it just clicked what you said about 'will' and 'don't leave models unfinished' as you sure as hell do not.

because I know you plan ahead; did you plan the complete model before you started, or was it step by step and see what happens with each step. does this make sense?

did you expect it to take months when you started the model?

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 396 21-05-2006 , 07:17 AM
G

I could model the creases as blend shapes and apply the SDK on those areas so when the joint moves in come the creases. A good thought...

Mirek: Most of this was planned with sketches etc and what surface to model in, but as always along the way something doesnt quite go as you want so I have had to compromise areas but not to a point where theres a radical change from its origin.

As for time, yes did expect it to be a while, Im doing this after work hours between family and other freelance work so...patience patience patience is the key. Hopefully texturing very soon as its almost complete, just a few more details to add

Cheers guys again
Jay

# 397 21-05-2006 , 08:31 PM
Done a little bit on the holster belt now, tweaked the upper belt andthe hoops, they are now bigger

Cheers guys
Jay

user added image

# 398 21-05-2006 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
One thing i Noticed in that last Pic Jay..
The ammo clips on the Belt..if thats what they are?
Their top flap and button come down way too far..
Real ones the Button clips only an inch or so below the upper edge, if that far. Real world applications dictate that if you are in a fire fight, and need ammo, you dont want 6 inches of leather strap getting in your way in the removal of your ammo from the holder..
Just a thought for ya..
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 399 21-05-2006 , 09:32 PM
Cool! I just went back to this thread and Im really liking what im seeing; keep it up!

your my inspiration!

# 400 21-05-2006 , 09:33 PM
Hey G

Yep no probs

But dont tell these two that...lol

I used Jangos as influence/reference and put my own twist on it. The six foot version in my study came in real handy...

Thanks for crit though dude, talk soon

Jay

Attached Images
# 401 21-05-2006 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
looks great

# 402 22-05-2006 , 04:35 AM

Originally posted by vladimirjp
jay:
* the ears still bother me. they seem to stand out too much, maybe they are too big. also i think they are too vertical. ears tend to have a slight rotation, hers doesnt seem to have that.

Looking at the ear, my problem with it is that there seems to be very little in the way of an intertragic incisure between the lobule and the tragus. The lobule curves round the front of the ear and becomes part of the tragus and it shouldn't do that. I think this is what is giving the impression that the ear is sticking out. do a google image search for ear, you'll see what I mean.

# 403 22-05-2006 , 06:01 AM
Gamestarf:

Thanks

Radical Edward:

Thats a 'radical' answer. Thanks for your crit. Its pretty much bang on as far as the ear goes and as for a google search on ears well, lets be honest, I wasnt born yesterday, I know about google searches. In fact I went one better than that and took hi res reference images of my wifes and daughters and my own.

Youve misread Vlads comment too, he says the ear is too verticle ie; straight instead of the usual 5 degrees angle back on the ear which is the norm for the average ear.

The post you read was way back and has since then been mentioned by Legend of Zombie after and the only thing wrong is there is no rotation outwards. Which will get done. The front curve of the ear are a little thick if anything, but other than that its all fine

I'll post an update later
Jay

# 404 26-05-2006 , 11:23 PM
Ugh what a week!! Veerrry slow with updates, working later than normal at work a couple of days this week so not much time to even fart!! LOL

Anyway heres the holster, basing it on the idea of those military quick draw holsters which are minimal in design, almost complete, leg strap to add plus a comlink on the cuff of her sleeve.

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 405 27-05-2006 , 12:10 AM
user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live