Subscriber

how to moddel and texture a canyon

hey..
iam right now working on the apache tut from SM
this is how much i got so far :

user added image

i moddelt my old 190 benz a couple month ago.. status pic:

user added image

since i have to make a final for my first maya course in school i want to have the car driving throu a canyon and the apache following..
well i might be able to finish the car and the apache.. but ive never made a canyon or a landscape.. is there anybody who could help me?? plz

# 2 19-05-2007 , 09:43 PM
you could create a large plane with lots of divisions and then use the sculpt polygons tool to push and pull the vertices to create the landscape. I used this method in my odd architecture project and it worked pretty well.

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...e&pagenumber=6

There are a few methods for creating landscapes. I might do a search on SM - i'm sure you'll come up with a few different approaches.
user added image

# 3 19-05-2007 , 09:59 PM
Have a look into the free PLE version of Vue, that should get you going nicely!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 20-05-2007 , 02:09 AM
Subscriber

merci senores for the quick help ..
ill try both possibilities... i tried to paint a displacement map in photoshop ... i guess this needs a lil training user added image ..
but ill keep trying!!

and i will try this vue prog. ...

again ...

huge merci user added image

# 5 20-05-2007 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber

first try

Hey ... i tried the displacement map ... this is my result user added image

user added image

user added image

what u think .. iam not really happy with it..

i will try the vue programm next.. but i think wid some tips i might be able to paint a nice displacement map user added image

# 6 20-05-2007 , 08:23 PM
i think it's looking pretty good - what aren't you happy with?

# 7 20-05-2007 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
hmmm okay merci i guess with some lil adjustments it could work user added image

but i realized that my computer is not really good enough to have such a scene.. its allready rotating kinda slow... and there´s no texture or enything in the scene besides the canjon mash.. if i now insert the apyche and three cars and then start to animate... hmmm i guess no go user added image

what can i do?? .. besides spending a hole lot of money for a new pc... maya allready made me starving for some weeks user added image

# 8 25-05-2007 , 06:06 AM
Subscriber

DONE wid the Apache "Moddeling"

Yeah .. working 3 night streight throu iam done moddeling the apache user added image

user added image

user added image

looking forward to texture that thing...

any body who see´s some major issus ? maby i just ignore them so i can finally start learning something about texturig user added image

# 9 25-05-2007 , 01:13 PM
looks awesome cant wait till i have your skill.

https://www.dell.com/html/global/topics/gaming/en/us/us/dhs/systems-notebook.html

gimme.
# 10 25-05-2007 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
thanks dude user added image

but this is tut work.. not my own creation..
we´re probably the same skill lvl user added image just that i bought that awsome tut user added image

thanks again to SM

# 11 25-05-2007 , 11:23 PM
i am thinking about buying it is it worth it? or do you think there would be better projects?
:p

https://www.dell.com/html/global/topics/gaming/en/us/us/dhs/systems-notebook.html

gimme.
# 12 26-05-2007 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by barnettbeans
i am thinking about buying it is it worth it? or do you think there would be better projects?
:p

well i guess this depends alot on were u wanna go in and what ur into wid maya..
for me its fitting perfect right now cuz iam using the apache for my semester final at school..
and plus.. i learnd hundrets of ways to accomplish things in that tut. which iam now able to use for my feature projects.. u have to consider that the tut goes for 27 houres ... as somebody new to maya u need at least double time user added image but its still fun thou

i would definitly say that the apache moddeling tut is worth it.. and i will definitly start the next SM tut right after user added image
(still dont know which that one will be)