Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-04-2008 , 05:44 AM

Poll -- Real world sculpting versus modeling in Maya

Hey there. I have some questions for everyone here.

I am fairly new to Maya and coming from a background of a self taught sculptor and am wondering how these 2 fields relate to each other. In your experience do you think sculpting experience in real life helps much with working in Maya?

Or do you think drawing relates more to modeling in Maya? Working with Polygons almost seems like a mathematical/geometric problem or process.

Also, do you have any idea which form is faster to work with generally? Have there ever been any races or tests which is more efficient to work with -- real world sculpting versus CG modeling?

# 2 20-04-2008 , 11:40 AM
Have a look into Zbrush or Mudbox, you'll love it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 20-04-2008 , 12:01 PM
all traditional mediums help no end when using a CG package.

Hmm CG is probably faster but the outcomes have obvious differences in aesthetic and use so i wouldnt say one is superior. Traditional sculpts are still made in CG productions, they have many many many uses.

# 4 21-04-2008 , 06:49 AM
Does ZBrush and Mudbox work like the sculpt tool in maya?

Or is it different?

It kind of seems like drawing might be the most valuable skill in Maya because it seems like drawing the template images and being able to workout how the lines should be diagramed in 2-D is the most difficult part. If you do that properly all the work is done it seem to me. I don't really udnerstand how they do those images. I have one in a book I am using here --

(or maybe they sculpt the project out in the real world and then diagram the lines directly onto the sculpt and then photograph it and translate those images into 2D?)

user added image

user added image

# 5 21-04-2008 , 08:03 AM
Sort of like the sculpt tool in a very basic sense, but a lot lot better.

Not really too sure what you mean about the images? Working out the lines to be diagrammed into 2d??

To make those images generally YOu need to like up key areas of the front and the side (top of head, ears, nose, mouth etc etc and then draw the rest in

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 21-04-2008 , 08:26 AM
Yeah.. how in this image they have the lines for the polygons.. and they have them diagramed in both planes.. and translated to show the topography of the face.. the highs and lows.

The pictures above are done so well that all the hard work is done from the diagrams -- the image plane references.

So any monkey can eyeball the vertices into place and line them up to create the model.

But I am wondering how they did that image so well.. either a lot of practice drawing those types of reference images or they actually sculpted it in real life and used that as a guide..

Sorry if I'm not making sense.. trying to explain this stuff is not easy. It's so abstract.. :headbang:

Last edited by ExtrudedDingus; 21-04-2008 at 08:31 AM.