Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-10-2006 , 11:14 PM

Rigging problem....Please help!

Ok, I was rigging a character in Maya 7, as I've done plenty of times, and I have run into a problem. For some reason, after placing an IK Handle from my arm root bone to my arm turn bone (right after the elbow, in the forearm area), I try to place the IK effector's manipulator onto the arm end bone via the insert button. But now, it is causing some strange issues with the skeleton, making it twist and turn in every direction as I try to move the manipulator to it's desired location. I do this so that I can control the arm from the wrist, not the forearm, and it always has worked in the past. But, like I said, now it cannot be done. I have even tried deleting the entire rig and starting over, but it is still doing it. The only thing I can say that may of caused this is that I tried importing the Maya Biped Example into the scene. It all started after that. But, I have deleted everything to do with the biped from the scene, and it is still happening. Any suggestions? Btw, I've surpassed the noob status in Maya, but I figured this was apart of the basics, so I posted it here :p

# 2 29-10-2006 , 12:51 AM
Senior Software Developer
Might be a daft question but have you ensured all the joints are rotated correctly?

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 29-10-2006 , 01:08 AM
Yup, I have them all oriented in the correct direction....as far as I know. I usually orient them all to face in the same direction, and then swp the z axis direction for the elbow. But, I tried it with all of them oriented in the same direction, including the elbow, and I still have the problem.

# 4 29-10-2006 , 01:18 AM
Subscriber
try setting a preferred angle on the elbow.
and lock out the y and z of the forearm jnt [since u only need the x rotate; or which ever axis u want to rotate on]

# 5 29-10-2006 , 01:41 AM
Ok, I tried that, and when I try and move the manipulator, the bones below the forearm shoot way off into the distance. Strange, right?

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 6 29-10-2006 , 01:48 AM
Senior Software Developer
Did you insert any joints after you completed the skeleton and did you create it a persp or otho view? It is a strange one tho...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 29-10-2006 , 01:55 AM
No, once I finished the arm, the only thing I did was parent the hand bones and finger bones under the arm end bone. I've tried to just build another arm, sans the hands, but I get the same thing. I created it in the top view, and then adjusted it in the side view, and made some final tweaks in the persp view. And yes, it is mind numbing. I have never seen anything like it (not that I'm a seasoned pro or anything, though :p ).

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 8 29-10-2006 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber
post your simple scene where you retried it.

# 9 29-10-2006 , 02:50 AM
As for the arm shooting off in to the distance, I have had a similar problem - it sounds like you are selecting something twice - as in you are selecting the object and the group that the object is in, so the transform tool will effect the object twice. I might be wrong though.

# 10 29-10-2006 , 03:06 AM
Ok, here is the scene. I trimmed it down as much as possible size wise. As far as the model goes, you'll see that it's just a set of arms. The scene I'm importing them into will be rendered in a 1st person view, so all that would be visible is the arms. About selecting more than 1 object, I double checked to make sure that wasn't the case. I made sure that all I had selected was the hidden effector in the Hypershade, and then tried to move it's manipulator, and the same thing happened. Anyway, I'm attaching the scene, so maybe someone can shed some light on this craziness!

Attached Files
File Type: mb armrig.mb (236.7 KB, 265 views)

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 11 29-10-2006 , 03:19 AM
Subscriber
maybe u need to reset this tool

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973

Last edited by pbman; 29-10-2006 at 03:21 AM.
# 12 29-10-2006 , 03:33 AM
user added image I don't believe it! I had already tried resetting the IK Handle Tool, but on a whim, I tired it once more, and reset the IK tool and the Move Tool, and it worked! I'm still baffled by this. Was it the IK tool or the Move tool causing the issue? Since I already tried resetting the IK tool, I have to think it was the Move tool, but is that reasonable user added image ? Well, either way, thank you kindly to everyone that helped me. I appreciate your suggestions, they were most helpful! And pbman, thanks for your answer! Has this happened to you before?

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 13 29-10-2006 , 04:25 AM
Subscriber
np, ur welcome

no i downloaded ur file
tried it but the setting u had for ik was not right
ik or ipsolver or whateva the names r
so the first thing i tried was to rest the ik tool an it worked fine there was no prob withe the move tool atleast for me

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 14 29-10-2006 , 04:31 AM
I see. Well, thanks again, and thanks again to everyone else for helping me out of this jam. Much appreciated!user added image

Eric Tacti
3D Artist