Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-02-2004 , 09:12 PM

displacement map

If i have a graident image from black to white where white is high and black is low can i effectivly use it as a displacement map. Im trying to recreate the ground of a specific area so it needs to be correct. My problem is when i use the image as a displacement map it doesnt create the high and depth correctly. i need the highs to be higher and lowes lower. is there any setting i can use to help me out. I hope i explained this correctly. thanks in advance for your help

# 2 04-02-2004 , 11:37 AM
Yup, you should be able to do it by editing the size of the bounding box of the geometry. It's in the attribute editor so if yo ujust adjust the y height of the box it should scale to that size.

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 04-02-2004 , 04:08 PM
when i went to the settings you were talking about and tried to vhange them i could not get any new results. I tried it out on the nurbs plane and the polygon plane. I also tried hitting the recalculate button under the binding box but still with no effect

# 4 04-02-2004 , 04:28 PM
hmm ok well I pulled that out of the docs so it might be a good idea to have a read through yourself and see what it says, it may be a setting on the displacement node rather than the plane i'm ont entirley sure. When you find out though let me know here cause I am gong to be doing something similar sson :0

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB