Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-10-2008 , 07:57 AM
Subscriber

underground subway

I have started modeling a underground subway. I just though some light in there so you could get a bsaic Idea.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-10-2008 , 11:15 AM
Subscriber
I made it a solid color so you can see better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 29-10-2008 , 05:59 PM
Subscriber
aren't subways normally underground?

looks like a good start

gonna put people, advertising and most importantly a train in there user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 29-10-2008 , 10:36 PM
Yeah, good start and that's will be a big project. hope more and keep up!user added image

# 5 29-10-2008 , 11:07 PM
Good start ... but i think that you don't need to try rendering it now untill you finish all the project and you can use occlussion pass only for preview ... good job .user added image

You Deserve
# 6 30-10-2008 , 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
aren't subways normally underground?

looks underground to me - but actually no, subways aren't always underground - there are several sections of the ny subway that are street level or above.

nice job banksta - could do with some bevelling to get rid of those sharp edges.

# 7 30-10-2008 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
thanks everybody. I have quite a few pieces left. I wont put any characters in the scene because I am focusing on environments as I want to freelance as a environment artist.

# 8 30-10-2008 , 03:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
looks underground to me - but actually no, subways aren't always underground - there are several sections of the ny subway that are street level or above.

nice job banksta - could do with some bevelling to get rid of those sharp edges.

They wont look as sharp Arran when I am done texturing and bump mapping.

# 9 30-10-2008 , 04:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran

i was refering to his title, didn't quite get why you call it an underground subway

i've never seen a subway before anyway...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 10 30-10-2008 , 07:15 PM
Looks like decent start, other than the sharp edges, but your onto that so no biggie.

Personally I woundn't pass a comment on something I didnt know about, sort of goes onto the old saying "its better to keep quiet and be thought an idiot, rarther than opening your mouth and removing all doubt"

Not that i'm calling anyone an idiot.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 30-10-2008 at 08:46 PM.
# 11 31-10-2008 , 12:11 AM
Subscriber

lights I could use to get effect I want

I need help getting even lighting in my underground subway before I start texturing my scene. I still have a few more pieces to put on the wall but I am almost done modeling and I am trying to get the lighting done before I texture everything. I have used spotlights to light the scene as is, but there is not even lighting and shadowing like I want. What is the best light to get even lighting for a large scene. I tried a few other lights like the ambient but I am getting to much shadow. Here is a jpg of my scene.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 31-10-2008 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
put up and occlusion pass so you can really see the detail better until I light.

Attached Thumbnails