Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-01-2003 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber

Modelling Techniques? Where to start?

Ok, I have been modelling in 3d programs other than maya for around 2 months now. I just decided to go straight for maya and try my hardest to learn this at an advanced level. I was wondering what kind of modelling techniques are the "best", which one would give you the most detailed work, which is used for games, and stuff like that. Thanks.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 2 23-01-2003 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
Oh, one other thing. After looking at your site for a hour now I have came to a conclusion that this is by far, THE BEST maya site on the web. Your tutorials are just so user friendly and this Forum is amazing. You will be seeing a LOT from me in the next 80 years before I die. Thats that, cya.

# 3 23-01-2003 , 01:32 AM
Kevin
welcome!

1. so many techniques to be honest mate.. I normally just use normal polys but many use the poly then convert to sub d back and forth untill they have the look they want.

2. nurbs is also great but a little harder to master them polys IMO anyways user added image

3. polys are used for games mate user added image

# 4 23-01-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
Hey that helped a lot! Now I will just focus mostly on poly editing.. look into the other styles and see what happens. Oh and one other thing. When you say poly editing is that like starting from a box and making it into a model? Or is it starting 2d and working to a 3d model or what? Im a Noob of course in maya so even that definition is foreign to me.

# 5 23-01-2003 , 01:46 AM
A really good place to start is using the Maya help files (just press F1 on your keyboard). There are tutorials there that will give you a good introduction to the different modeling methods available in Maya. And, of course, as you already discovered, the tutorials here are really good. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 23-01-2003 , 01:49 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Dannyngan, it looks like it does go over some stuff in there. I will start off with this user added image, not today though.. i have Finals tommorow.

Last edited by M; 21-02-2003 at 09:12 PM.
# 7 23-01-2003 , 01:53 AM
I think that you just need to "get dirty" and dive right in. In My opinion, What median you use, can usually be determined by what you are wanting to model, and how you want the finnished product to look. Anyways, I think that this is a hard question to answer, everybody has their preferences, But I generally use all three depending on what I am modeling. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 8 23-01-2003 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
You are all very friendly! What I think I will do is go away for a few weeks and then come back to this site once i know the fundamentals of maya 4.5. Then i might have some good questions to ask user added image. Cya all then

# 9 23-01-2003 , 11:05 AM
Yeah.. get some tutorials on the internet, teh movies in the VIP section and look and study how others do there modeling and develop your own style..

The Important Thing is NOT to Stop Questioning.
--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk