View Poll Results: Is Game violence getting out of control?
Yes 1 6.67%
No 9 60.00%
Don't know/ Don't Care 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 10-01-2007 , 06:08 AM
gster123 > 'The problem starts when the "kids" get hold of the games. Your right, theres no way a developer would aim, say GTA was at the average 10 year old, but the problem still exists that they can get hold of them in someway or another, thats why things get censored or age restricted as its up the the adults to educate the young.'

I think it is a problem that kids get hold of games they are not supposed to play, but I dunno how interested 10 year olds would be in games like GTA. I mean, will they even understand what everything is about?

# 17 10-01-2007 , 06:10 AM

Originally posted by The Architect

I dunno how interested 10 year olds would be in games like GTA. I mean, will they even understand what everything is about?

Exactley the point. If there too young to understand what the violence is and the concequences in real life if they did what they see on the game, thats where there gonna get screwed up.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 10-01-2007 , 06:18 AM
gster123 > 'Exactley the point. If there too young to understand what the violence is and the concequences in real life if they did what they see on the game, thats where there gonna get screwed up.'

No I meant to say: If they don't know whats going on, why would they bother to play the game in the first place?

# 19 10-01-2007 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by marlonjohn
[B
dam ok... btw nice picture lol, had that when i went to the beach the other day. user added image [/B]

I am going to go ahead and assume you mean that you had a sausage...

Anywhoo,
In my opinion games should be alloud to be as violent as they want. I dont like the argument that violent games corrupt childrens minds because the same argument can be used for movies. If a child watches their parents R rated show the show doesnt get blamed for the childs corruptness the parents do. I dont see why the same thing doesnt apply for games. The problem is that with a game the child may get too envolved with the killing because they feel as if they are in the game as opposed to a movie where they feel more detached.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 20 10-01-2007 , 07:11 AM
Senior Software Developer
Think about the Matrix, where Morpheus is held by Mr Smith and he is describing how they build a perfect society, but the program crashed. How we have to live in a society in chaos, misery and suffering. Basically people in society need something moan about. As Mike stated, a decade or 2 ago it was violence in films, now Gaming is being targeted. Thats one of the main reasons why we have the BBFC, the ESRB and the AAMC (I think they are called).

IMHO it is about knocking out our freedoms and controlling us.

Recently I watched the making of The Life of Brian, and Terry Gilliam came up with a classic quote stating that "...the people opposing the film were ill educated and could not think for themselves. They were unable to see the humour and took offence to nothing. I mean the film had nothing to do with Jesus..."

Or something like that :blush:

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 21 10-01-2007 , 07:11 AM
Some Guy > 'Anywhoo, in my opinion games should be alloud to be as violent as they want.'

Yes I agree, however the violence must be done properly and not in a goofy manner like in some games.

Some Guy > 'I dont like the argument that violent games corrupt childrens minds because the same argument can be used for movies. If a child watches their parents R rated show the show doesnt get blamed for the childs corruptness the parents do. I dont see why the same thing doesnt apply for games. The problem is that with a game the child may get too envolved with the killing because they feel as if they are in the game as opposed to a movie where they feel more detached.'

I remember once in a debate for english class that argument was used. What those evil 'games are bad for you' people don't realise is that kiddies playing their 'cops and robbers' is much more real than a game (I see no polys) and also promotes thinking about gory stuff where as with games its just: bang, there's blood, wow, but theres another guy around the corner to shoot so thers no time to watch...

# 22 10-01-2007 , 08:00 AM

Originally posted by gster123
The problem starts when the "kids" get hold of the games. Your right, theres no way a developer would aim, say GTA was at the average 10 year old, but the problem still exists that they can get hold of them in someway or another, thats why things get censored or age restricted as its up the the adults to educate the young.

So true, it’s too easy to place the blame on game titles or even the games industry. It is not like the industry is handing out these sorts of titles to under age kids from the corner. These games have been censored and it is up to whom ever buys it to be responsible for the content within the title and to whom they give the title too.

# 23 10-01-2007 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
The problems that you see happening in society aren't just because of video games, music, television shows. It goes deeper than that, THE PARENTS. I played violent games, watched violent movies, listen to violent music, I don't believe in fighting, guns, or violence at all and you know why? Because my parents actually spent time explaining this is right this is wrong and the reasons why. Basically the rise of population and the fact that the parents these days are barely out of highschool (most still in highschool) when having kids, they don't get the time to spend with their children to guide them and show them right from wrong. People are having kids like it's going out of style and not taking care of them.

That my friends is the problem. Parenting. Stop trying to blame the media for violence. Parents are doing a lot to try and stop violence in music, movies, and video games, but are they actually spending the time that is necessary to guide their children in the right path? Most likely not.

I'm 23 and know a bunch of people that are parents, and I'm friends with them. The thing is about 75-80% of these parents I know don't spend the time thye need with their kids, you know why? Because they're kids themselves still, kids should not take care of kids. I could keep diving deeper and deeper into this whole situation but violence in video games, music, and movies is not the issue. The parents are the issue.

# 24 11-01-2007 , 02:21 AM

Originally posted by The Architect
No I meant to say: If they don't know whats going on, why would they bother to play the game in the first place?

You give a young kid any game and they will play it regardless of if they understand it, as its something new that if they see other people playing it they will want to have a go regardless of if they understand it.

# 25 11-01-2007 , 02:22 AM
ok, i think we had all opinions here allready, but here's mine.

i don't think that parents are to blame for not teaching the children what's violence and what's not. i think that every kid that watches the news gets just as corrupted by violence as if they would play a game. i'm a gamer myself, and therefor i play violent games, and i can say for a fact that there are games that are to violent to be played by minors, but here in holland every game has a rating. i think that as long as those ratings are followed that there aren't real problems. for example GTA: has a 18 rating, so u have to be 18 to buy/play the game. it's the shopowner who sells the game to uphold that. if they don't, then why are those rules there?

and for games getting more violent, i don't think they are, it's just that now that games are getting more and more graphical that u can just see the violence better. anyone ever played the first bomberman game? it doesn't look violent, but u have to kill enemies by using bombs...... seems violent to me?

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 26 11-01-2007 , 03:08 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by SilverBlood
for example GTA: has a 18 rating, so u have to be 18 to buy/play the game. it's the shopowner who sells the game to uphold that. if they don't, then why are those rules there?

A valid point, but what if the parent/older brother or freind is the one to buy games for the younger person. This follows suit in every nation, with the alcohol argument.

Really the buyer and the seller have a massive responsibility to ensure that games certificate laws are upheld. If and adult buys a game that has a 15 or 18 cert on it, then the shop owner should ask, is this game for yourself? Yes, OK enjoy. No, how old is the recipient? 13. I can't sell it it is against the law. In the UK a child under the age of 12 is not liable to prosecution as it is deemed that they are unable to tell the difference between right and wrong (morally). Any one under the age of 16 is a minor. So how does a minor get hold of a game with an 18 cert.

1. the shop owner (Game, EB, Woolworths, ASDA, Wallmart, all online stores the list is endless) only care about the profit and/or commission they are going to get for selling it.
2. An irresponsible adult buys the child the game without thinking about the repercussions.

We live in a blaim culture, where we always seek out someone else to blaim for our issues. IF its your fault accept it, and maybe you will get some respect for being upstanding and honest.

Really we all have a responsibility to this. I personally think the issue will be greater as games become more hyper real. The problem for most people is that you are not watchin this, you are acting this out in real time. Personally I saw bollox to them all.

GTA is one of the most superb series ever to have hit a computer, loads have tried to copy it and all have failed to do it. Go Rockstar.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 27 11-01-2007 , 03:20 AM

GTA is one of the most superb series ever to have hit a computer, loads have tried to copy it and all have failed to do it. Go Rockstar.

one of the best series......... not really..... but certainly one of the series that made the most of gold, no wonder that everyone tries to remake the game

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 28 11-01-2007 , 03:22 AM
I used to work in a music/DVD/Games shop, and I always asked for ID if the person looked young/or on, or even just over the age limit.

Like you said R@nsid it all depends on if they are buying it for someone else, the seller cant ask parents who they are buying for or if they think it's suitable as its their responsability, same with older siblings. The only time they can offer advice is if I was asked.

I wouldent say that the company is only bothered about profit, its more up to the person behind the counter as they get fined as well as the company so it's in their intrest to make sure that the person buying is the right age (well I was).

# 29 11-01-2007 , 07:15 AM
This statement is from Take Two/ Rock Star. This company name has come under so many law suits over under aged kids killing each other that i had to paste this statement from an article on:
https://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=871302004

This article was titled: Parents to sue makers of violent game

"Rockstar, however, has denied responsibility.

In a statement, the company said: "We would like to extend our sympathies to the Pakeerah family. We reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of Manhunt. There is a clear certification structure in place and Manhunt was clearly classified as 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and should not be in the possession of a juvenile. Rockstar Games submits every game for certification to the British Board of Film Certification and clearly marks the game with the BBFC-approved rating."

If you read the article you see that this kid was under age while playing this game and this law suit like many others have been squashed.

# 30 11-01-2007 , 07:22 AM
Subscriber
read the introduction:
"LEGAL action is to be taken against the computer company behind a violent game blamed for inciting a teenager to murder his 14-year-old friend. "

thats pretty shocking ... user added image