Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-10-2004 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber

help me get started

alright, so im giving my best shot at making the ferrari f2003 racecar.
now, i need some quick info and tips, i hail from lightwave so im trying to re learn how to make a car.

first question, what format do i model in, nurbs? polys? subd?
and do i use different ones for different parts, ie wheels, rims tires, body etc?

second q, if i am modelling the lip and inside of a rim and want to get some definition to the model ie creases in the model, how do i do that.

and what modelling style would be best for an f1 car? like box model? curve drawing? extrude?

last question is, is it acceptable to leave geometry disconnected from the model, ie having an air scoop just crossed into the geometry of the body of the car, or is that just sloppy? should i merge the scoop from the body geometry?

any help is welcome

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 19-10-2004 at 08:52 PM.
# 2 19-10-2004 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
Q1) Poly then convert to subD [because u can crease/full crease/uncrease very affectively

Q2) when u convert to subD, select the edges u want to crese then in the subD menu>crease/partial crease edged

Q3) model the peices of the car peice by peice [ hood, doors, etc..]

Q4) yes

good luck

# 3 19-10-2004 , 09:58 PM
Or, draw alot of curves, rebuild, and make surfaces...many tutorials you'll find around get into this method.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 19-10-2004 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
good stuff guys
much appriciated