Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-06-2006 , 12:48 PM

Cartoon Man

This is my second character model. I'm concentrating on my modeling skills right now but I want to learn to animate him next. I've done the walk cycle tut of the Blue robot but was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on rigging and animation aside from the Learning Maya 7 book?

MP

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-06-2006 , 03:40 AM
Hey mpicone - looks like a good model, though I might give his jacket a collar, and also the inside of his mouth is looking a little odd at the moment - I might make it a little darker so it is not the same color as his skin.

As for a book on rigging and animating I can definitely recommend Mike Mckinley's 'The Game Artist's Guide to Maya'. It's really cheap and full of helpful info -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...lance&n=283155

Hope this helps. Looking forward to more updates.

user added image

# 3 06-06-2006 , 04:34 PM
Nice model. I agree with all the things arran said and I am thinking of getting Mtmckinleys book also.
Good luck,
bobalie

# 4 07-06-2006 , 05:57 AM
Subscriber
MtMckinley also has a very nice rigging tutorial available on this site. I downloaded it and I highly recommend it!

Otherwise, very nice work so far. I concur with darkening the inside of the mouth, but once rigged this should be a fun character to work with! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 07-06-2006 , 02:08 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I just downloaded Mike McKinley's tutorial. I'm definitely going to get his book.

Darkening the inside of the mouth makes a big difference.

Mark

If you don't mind, I'll display the character after my attempt to animate him. I'm looking forward to learning to rigging and animation.

Attached Images
# 6 07-06-2006 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
I'm thinking you might choose to do a rigid bind with lattice deformers instead of a smooth bind because the character is more "rubbery" and cartoony. My only advice is make sure you have enough geometry on the character so it deforms properly! If you don't, (ie if the arm is a poly cylinder with only a couple of cross sections), you can always add geometry at the joints!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

"Ad astra per aspera..."