Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 07-04-2012 , 05:52 PM
19 year Veteran

No I think you are missing my point. When I see an Arnie, Tom Cruise or even a Connery movie, I dont see the character they are playing, all I see is them being 'them' not a character in particular, they are almost cliched and type cast. If you look at the Alec Guinness generation of actors, they 'became' those characters and you forgot about the actor same can be said of Harrison Ford, he is Indiana Jones and Han Solo, not just Harrison Ford. So for me Farrell is good enough, he will be invisible to me in the film as the actor, he will be the character. Its probably one of the reasons he was given the part, he's not directly in your face as a personality.

Those actors had really good screen presence and charisma. That has alot to do with how the audience judge films. Colin Farrell has the screen presence of a table cloth and the charisma of a parking meter- Violated. Add that to the bad boy image he repeats in every movie and that tells you why he's not doing very well. As to why Colin was picked for Total Recall 2012? Thats probably due to Kurt Wimmer. He was hired to write the screen play for Total Recall 2012, and also wrote the screen play for anther movie Colin was in, The Recruit. He also wrote the screenplays for Salt and Ultra Violet, of which I have heard where very convoluted, and why the studio decided he needed to write a story about erased memories, is beyond me. Collin has had only 2 hit movies in the span of 8 years ( SWAT and Horrible Bosses) and thats being generous.

I'm in agreement with Gen, and call me old fashioned, but box office hits is, are and will always be such a fickle thing. Generally when you look at a box office hit its usually because its the latest 'in thing' (craze) or the actor leading in the film is just popular at that moment, its such bull. I could give you half a dozen movies that in MY opinion wipe the floor with such high end FX movies like Avatar (that has no original story btw, or is based off Dances with wolves) either way its not original. Although the Dark Knight is a great film, I dont think its above Batman Begins in a lot of ways, I think because of Heath Ledgers departure in our world, that everyone and their nan went to see it because of him, I would have seen it anyway regardless but my thinking is that its popularity increase was down to the Ledger factor.

Leading Actor/ latest craze does have alot to do with box office take. It goes both ways, it can make or break a movie. For example ( and this is a stretch ), you don't hire Mr.Bean to play the lead villain in a horror suspense film. Batman Begins and Dark knight where very well casted, and a big reason why those movies where so successful. Cristian Bale and Heath Leadger where perfect choices for those films. I knew both films where going to be great from the start.

Also when people bang on about avatar they dont actually realise that there isn't a damn thing in there that hasn't been seen before I can guarantee it, the factor for that film was it was sold purely on the improvement of the 3d Camera, to improve the viewing experience, which now in hindsight we all love to hate, but thanks to us viewers paying for the gimmick has now caused nearly all movies to get a 3d conversion - anyway.......thats another gripe story for another day LOL, so why is that film a hit???? I think its just the visual feast it gives, not a story. It bores me to tears, since owning it on Blu ray I still havent had the patience to watch it thru the first act LOL.

It was the advancement in emotion capture, and the 3D technology that really made the movie a hit. The story wasn't really the main focus. I could easily criticize the story, but it was casted very well, and that was another big reason for it's success, and if you know James Cameron, then you know he pushes the envelope on pretty much every thing he does. Which is another part of the reason why his movies are so successful. And yes avatar ushered in the 3D age of film making.

I was just looking at that box office list, I think the majority of the top ten should be made illegal LOL, in fact the top 50 need a good shuffle, how the hell some of those got green lit is a mystery to me. If you want a quality movie with good characters and 100% story, Im telling you you gotta see Real Steel....that was one movie that I did not expect from, yet that delivered the whole damn package, I was really surprised with that film.

It is pretty amazing what the general movie watching audience likes and doesn't like.

I haven't seen Real Steel yet, but was always interested in watching it. It had a production budget of 110 million, but only made 85.4 million here in states, but it did phenomenal over seas with over 200 million, bringing it's world wide total to almost 300 million. Had it been released closer to the holiday season last year, it would have done better. I guess the studios were still unsure about it.

# 32 07-04-2012 , 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Real Steel was good huh? I have to check that out because the trailers I remember made it seem super cheesy.

- Genny
# 33 07-04-2012 , 08:11 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL and I quote.....LMAO

Obviously you're not a Farrell fan THX lol. I haven't seen much of his stuff ( only Alexander, Minority Report, Parnassus and Horrible Bosses) generally but give it a chance when it comes out.

Of course the whole craze goes both ways but I still think that The Dark Knights success was down to the Ledger effect of his passing. It was a great performance by him for sure, to the point of feckin scary....but I still believe it was that factor alone, because Bales performance as Batman is the best to date but not worth writing home about. I dont know if I thought they were both gonna be good especially 'Begins' , I'm a huge Batman fan and your faith does need to be restored after the trauma that Joel Schumacher left on the world, thank goodness for Chris Nolans vision.

Yes thats pretty much what I said about Avatar, no story just the focus on the 3d stuff, the whole 'see it in 3d' is just a sham and a total ball ache for us involved in the process, 3d conversion/technology isnt well liked by most.

Yeah the audiences level of expectation for films is pretty below par these days, the majority of the stuff in that top 10 is pretty bog standard run of the mill, bangs and pops and get the popcorn down you. Pirates 4, very below par after the other 3, good generally but below the standard set by the others, even Depps performance wasnt up to scratch. Potters...yawn!! nice effects but wake me when its finished.

Now, Real Steel, yeah seriously have a look at it at least, you probably think Im nuts. When I hired it last week, my wife and daughter asked me what it was about, I said well its errm Hugh Jackman some kid and Boxing Robots... - their faces were a picture!! Boxing Robots?? groan. So we put it on, myself expecting my wife to sleep after 10mins, but nooooo, it actually made her sit up and watch this relationship of Jackmans and the estranged son evolve and develop in the space of 90mins...we were bloody riveted!! Anyway give it a go......story and character pretty damn good, one of Jackmans best roles if you ask me.

Jay

# 34 07-04-2012 , 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
I love the original Total Recall and I'll probably give this one a go too. I can take or leave Farrell so I'm good either way. He doesn't really have range as an actor (neither does Arnie for that matter) but how many mainstream celebs do? Between the comic book spin offs, the remakes, and the sequel/prequel bit thats so habitual these days, it's not easy for me to get excited about movies.

- Genny
# 35 07-04-2012 , 09:31 PM
Good call Gen, thats exactly my point about Arnie et al.

J

# 36 08-04-2012 , 06:10 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, Arnolds acting is really sub par, and it's gotten worse in his later years; however, you have to agree, he's still the king of movie "one-liners". He's supposed to film a movie with Stallone called "The Tomb" some time this year.

I will have to check out Real Steal Pretty soon.

# 37 08-04-2012 , 10:02 AM
Ahh you must look out for the Arnie quotes on youtube...bloody funny. I think its called 150 Arnie quotes....something like that LOL...no oscar winner for sure

_J

# 38 16-04-2012 , 03:06 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Have guys forgotten about phone booth really really cool movie. Also just watched wrath of the titans and in my opinion the 3d is the best so far even compared to avatar...and that's all i can say that was good about that movie, I left the movie thinking ummhhhhh what was the story about.

# 39 16-04-2012 , 06:24 PM
LOL yeah alot of people have said that about Wrath of the Titans...what story??

LOL

Jay

# 40 16-04-2012 , 07:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
I wonder if people would be more positive if they just started labelling things as tech demos or something.

# 41 16-04-2012 , 10:49 PM
Lifetime Member
or the latest game trailer stwert? LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes