tweetytunes 3 4.84%
goksimaster 24 38.71%
younglion 1 1.61%
arran 22 35.48%
luckycat 1 1.61%
THX1138 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 11-03-2007 , 04:30 PM
I don't see the problem if he called me and other 3d-guy from other forum to come here and vote? i gave my vote to his work because i think it's the best... i dont really see any problem? why you think all the people he called to see this topic cast his vote to him?

they came, chekced out all these finals and voted fot what they think is best user added image

# 47 11-03-2007 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
oh look another nube member voteing for him
(not at all one sided here are you).

if I called everyone I knew and got them to vote for me I`d be in the hundreds by now.

I would not have minded but you peeps dont surrport the site, or the other users.

I just feel sorry that he had to swoop this low with such a great entery in one of the best comp I have seen in a long time.

i wonder if we were to removed all votes from users under 4 post what his score would be then.

I thinking somewhere near 3.

me and the other users here surport this guy all the wat though the challange and it was great to see this going the way it was. but just to find out its because he called on all his friend spoiles the whole thing.

All respect slipping away fast

# 48 11-03-2007 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
I agree
I think the voting should only be alloud for people who actually entered or C&C'd on an entry in the challenge (Or at least people who have been on the site for more that a week)
It is a bit sad that somone is resorting to recruitment of their freinds just to get a few votes. :shakehead Especially when it would have gotten some n-e way.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge

# 49 11-03-2007 , 06:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
this poll isn't the final say

# 50 11-03-2007 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
Of course I have to throw my two cents in...

First off....

...Nice to see so many entries this time!

However, it is sad how this is turning out with the popular vote.

Goki should have been a better sport about it. Getting your mates to come over and vote when they have no say within the confines of the community, is not cool. You earn the respect of the community, by posting and assisting other artist here, to be considered a member. Just signing up doesnt earn you anything yet, especially not the respect of your vote. Just my thoughts.

Arran does deserve the win overall, in my professional opinion. I just think that his model does seem like a better choice not bc i am or am not an arran-fan, just because some people didnt design a very good composition. If there is a possibility that someone's model is going to fall apart/break during the process then that is not a very good design. And definitely not a wise investment. Obviously it costs money to do this, so why would you submit something that might not work? It doesnt cost money for you, but Mike is putting up the dough on this. So if you were in Mike's position would you pick something that might waste your money?

Good composition vs being cool. Sorry but in this line of work the composition has to work before it can be "cool".

And Im positive that is what Mike will base the final choice off of in the end, is good design.

Just my opinion.

And that goes for all entries, in all competitions

Cheers

www.papalati.com

Last edited by papalatistudios; 11-03-2007 at 07:30 PM.

# 51 11-03-2007 , 08:16 PM
19 year Veteran
Mike, these popularity contests are just no good in my opinion, especially when a competitor goes outside the confines of the challenge community just to get ahead.

I was curious as to why all these new members would sign up and cast a vote for goksimaster, then just dissappear after that.

I have said it before, these contest polls create bad reputations and animosity between the competitors. I vote no on any future contest polls, and I probably wont vote in anymore either.

Originally posted by tweetytunes:
I think you`ll find its 24/20. he`s not winning by that much.

Thats was a type "O", my appologies. Meant to say 24. I don't know how 32 got there, honest.

# 52 11-03-2007 , 11:19 PM
Wow, seems like the voting's gone a bit mad.

I personally dont see a problem with newbies voting straight off the bat, as it shows that people are actually looking and taking part in the community.

However its a sad state of affairs when people ask people to sign up and vote (and they probably will vote for their friends not what they thinks best), although having a poll does make it more sucsptable to abuse.

Its also a shame that it's happened as its was great fun keeping an eye on how everything was coming out.

Glad that its not the final say.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

# 53 12-03-2007 , 01:33 AM
Come on people, calm down, you are gone too far.
First off all, Goksi never said to anyone "go there, and there, and vote for me".
I woudn't vote that way in the first place. I wouldn't vote that way even for my brother, or father, or mother... not some Goksi I even dont know him personaly.
Second, I was following this great wips nearly a month before I joined the forum.
Third, I wanna enter the next contest aswell, if the rules alows max users.
Why I vote for Goksi's sword?
Besides very good model Goksi menage to produce, I see there is a very strong effort put in this sword. He learned much during the proces, and that is what I also include when I cast my vote, not just the model itself. Everybody who enter in 3D industry, must put his will to the test, to go further and further all the time. I think that the Goksi is the winner in that matter.
Don't get me wrong. I dont say that everybody else did not have effort, and I am very sorry that t1ck135 member did not receve any vote, and also tweetytunes has only 2 votes, and his medusa has deserved much more.
Arran is great modeler, and he produces stuff with easy of un profesional. I congratulate him for great model. He already has his skills, but as I said, I will always suport "will to learn" better than the knowlegde itselfs.
Huh... I am in hurry right now... we will continu later

# 54 12-03-2007 , 02:06 AM
Senior Software Developer
"Vote Rigging" on Forums is easily done, it always has been. Thats why Mike had stated above the voting here will not always produce the winner.

The SM Team have the final say so, there could be the chance that neither Arran or G will win. The SM Lads will decide via the final render & wireframes from the WIP's. So due to the prize the wireframes will be very important and the geometery too. If it cant be exported cleanly to obj then then all is good, but if its not clean then the export will fail.

Lets hopwe the right person wins. I.E Me user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

# 55 12-03-2007 , 03:58 AM
People people , the nube members who vouted for me have seen my project gooing from the scratch, they have suported me just like you did, and always asking me when the voteing is gooing to begin. I didn't ask them to vote for me. They seen all yours work and agride that they like mine best, many of them will probably like d4rk3lf join us in the next challeng .Like I sed, I did't ask them to come they come willingly.

Lets supose that aran have lots of votes and I do not. If Mike see that mine is better he will declare me as a winer.there is no mater who have more votes, that's way I publickey said that some of my friends come to vote for me. I don't have nothing to be shame about. I worked hard and give a lot's of effort to make this as it is today.

And you should be a shame for thinking that I will do such thinkg
I belive in my woork and just for the record I voted for aran

goksimaster

# 56 12-03-2007 , 05:51 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by THX1138
Mike, these popularity contests are just no good in my opinion, especially when a competitor goes outside the confines of the challenge community just to get ahead.

I was curious as to why all these new members would sign up and cast a vote for goksimaster, then just dissappear after that.

I have said it before, these contest polls create bad reputations and animosity between the competitors. I vote no on any future contest polls, and I probably wont vote in anymore either.

I second that. I had my doubts over these votes as well when they first started and this was the very reason why.

Oh and thx to my other two voters user added image

Here`s hoping your not noobs :p

Last edited by tweetytunes; 12-03-2007 at 06:05 AM.

# 57 12-03-2007 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
Yea ... i was wondering the same thing... ppl with 2 post start voting..

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz

# 58 12-03-2007 , 06:45 AM

Originally posted by papalatistudios
If there is a possibility that someone's model is going to fall apart/break during the process then that is not a very good design. And definitely not a wise investment. Obviously it costs money to do this, so why would you submit something that might not work? It doesnt cost money for you, but Mike is putting up the dough on this. So if you were in Mike's position would you pick something that might waste your money?

That's what pushed my vote away from goksi onto arran; in all honesty, I thought goksi's idea was very exotic, unique, and masterfully made, but what made me give the vote to arran was that this competition's "trophy" was to have the model made into a real-life sculpture, and goksi's model has quite a few bits that look like they might not hold together too well in a "printing process" (when this competition began, you all clicked on the link mtmckinley gave us, right? I'm not the only one who read it?)

If it were down to "A model for the sake of a model" competition, goksi would have had my vote, for sure!

(No offence arran! *cowers* Please don't hit me >_<)

(Edited to fix some typo's)

Last edited by severinianthony; 12-03-2007 at 06:54 AM.

# 59 12-03-2007 , 07:17 AM

Originally posted by d4rk3lf
Arran is great modeler, and he produces stuff with easy of un profesional. I congratulate him for great model. He already has his skills, but as I said, I will always suport "will to learn" better than the knowlegde itselfs.

ha ha - i guess I'll take that as a compliment. I'm just learning too - I'm not a professional...trust me!

Originally posted by severinianthony

(No offence arran! *cowers* Please don't hit me >_<)

don't worry - if I hit you it wouldn't hurt much :blush:

thanks to everyone.user added image

# 60 12-03-2007 , 08:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks all for voting. user added image

I just want to point out that, yes, this vote is for you guys to have a voice in this process, but also, no, this vote is not the final say. The reason was always because voting from membership is hard to regulate and also sometimes they can turn into a popularity contest. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it is part of the reasoning behind not just allowing a member poll to dictate the winner.

I'm calling this challenge closed! user added image The winner will be posted today, as well as (hopefully) the next challenge.