Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-07-2008 , 04:28 PM

Problem with texturing

Hello everyone, Im new to the forum and maya, and went into a problem:

I was modelling a polygon head and I made the ear in a separate scene (also poly). I imported it to the scene where the head is, merged the vertexes, and combined the meshes to one (mesh-->combine) . I noticed that the ear and the rest of the head had different colors/shading. I noticed that there are 2 default lamberts in the hypershade, one for the ear and one for the head.

How do I delete all that internal parameter stuff that I brought in when I imported the ear. I want to texture and treat them as one object.

I tried to delete history and stuff but it didnt work. Íf I export the whole head as an object file and import it into a new scene it still has that different shading on the ear.

Thanks.

# 2 21-07-2008 , 05:58 PM
When in the hypershade, select the ear and right click on the head lambert, and choose assign to selected.
Then you can delete the ear lambert.
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 21-07-2008 , 08:37 PM
Thanks for the reply :attn:

I tried that and got good results with the lambert, the ear looks attached to the head and has the same colour but only when rendered, the problem comes if I assign a miss fast skin to the mesh, it seems that only the ear gets all the sub surface scattering effects and so on, the rest of the head only gets the colour, what's up with that, it's driving me crazy? Is there a way to delete all kinds of attributes in the mesh and just leave the object information like the shape and stuff. Sorry don't know how to explain it in words hehe. I've tried deleting the history (Edit-->delete by type-->history).

BTW Maybe I assign the miss fast skin wrong. I right click on the object-->assign new material-->miss fast skin is that correct.

Last edited by frankzappa; 21-07-2008 at 09:22 PM.
# 4 21-07-2008 , 09:26 PM
Hmm maybe I should show you:

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 21-07-2008 , 10:01 PM
did you merge the vertices? that looks like the problem

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 22-07-2008 , 04:56 AM
Yes I merged the vertices, I think the problem is the mesh it self because no matter how much I smooth the area around the ear the "seam" is visible, but the vertices are merged :headbang:

# 7 22-07-2008 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
the edges aren't hard are they?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 22-07-2008 , 05:27 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
the edges aren't hard are they?

I'm a total noob at 3d modelling you have to explain what that is and how do I fix it.

# 9 22-07-2008 , 06:09 AM
Ok I fixed the problem, the head is now the same color, I tried normals--> soften edge, then "conform". It seemed to do the trick, no idea what I did though.