Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-07-2003 , 01:40 PM

LEGO: Head and Arms?

Hi!

I started to work with Maya 2 days ago and I decided to create a Lego character because it didn't looked so hard. But I thought wrong.

The head looks very strange and I dont know how to do it better. Please tell me how to make it look more like a Lego head.

And when it comes to the arms, i really don't know how to create them. Shall I use Nurbs or how shall I do?

Here's the image:
user added image

I know it looks bad, but I started with 3D for a couple of days ago.

Man cenuva métim' andúnë?
Inyë?

-=NiPeR=-
# 2 05-07-2003 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
actually the body looks realy good... the head, like you said needs imporovement... to make it better, you can try to make Nurbs Sphere then put a lattace on it (Animation-Deform-Lattace) then square it out the way you want it.. (sorry, never really tried doing lego beofre but that's the way I would try to do it)

-Emo

# 3 05-07-2003 , 01:56 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if I create a cylinder and smooth the edges?

Because a Lego head is like a cyl but smooth.

I created a subdiv cylinder, and now it looks like this:
user added image

I'm quite happy with this, but how shall I create the arms?

Inyë?

-=NiPeR=-

Last edited by NiPeR; 05-07-2003 at 02:22 PM.
# 4 05-07-2003 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
yeah youre right, it does look better! forget what I said then user added image

now the arms and youre Set user added image

BTW: I can't see your pictures unless I copy/paste the URL into my Browser and then see it.

-Emo

# 5 05-07-2003 , 03:02 PM
It's like that for me too, don't know what's wrong.

Inyë?

-=NiPeR=-
# 6 05-07-2003 , 07:07 PM

Originally posted by NiPeR
It's like that for me too, don't know what's wrong.

You can attach your pictures in the post itself without having to resort to 3rd party servers.
To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the Post Reply page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.
Provided they have reasonable filesizes, and a size non-disruptive to the forum, then you shouldn´t have any trouble.

# 7 05-07-2003 , 07:10 PM
Ok, thx.

Inyë?

-=NiPeR=-
# 8 08-07-2003 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
For the arms on my Lego man I used a poly cube with a smooth proxy on it then extruded the faces.

# 9 08-07-2003 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
Also if you don't want to model the arms you can download a program called LeoCAD that can export Lego parts to *.obj format. www.leocad.org

# 10 08-07-2003 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
what Ckyuk says is the best and easiest. Lego is actually a very touchy situation parts have to lock to each and must look a certain way and can't mess around with the sizes of the blocks. What I do is usually use lecad for the parts and begin to duplicate them in Maya. You can create the whole model in Leocad.

# 11 08-07-2003 , 10:57 PM
Subscriber
what i would do (and have done to model lego) if use the "revolve" function to model the head........it should look alot better if you do that insted of using subds..

and as for the arms.......create a cylinder and shape it into the shape you need.

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 12 08-07-2003 , 11:03 PM
Subscriber
somthing else......in your renders i can see that you lego man is slightly out of proportion. When I modeled mine I placed all the parts on a flat bed scanner and used tha scans to make sure that everything was the right scale/shape

Attached Images

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 13 09-07-2003 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
I disagree with roach105 that using LeoCAD is the best way even though I suggested it. Modelling your own Lego parts is both useful in improving your modelling skills and gives you a better feeling of satisfaction when it’s done.

# 14 09-07-2003 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
true ckyuk. I was just thinking along the lines of keeping things as true as possible to the real lego stuff.

# 15 11-07-2003 , 03:55 PM
Yea, it all depends on what you are doing and how long you have to get it done and what skills you want to learn and a bunch of other bullshit like that.user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow