Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-06-2005 , 01:37 AM

exporting as 3DS or OBJ

Hey, quick question, how do export a model as a 3DS format or OBJ format? (it wont let me in the export option)

# 2 24-06-2005 , 02:08 AM
Subscriber
u cant export as 3ds iirc, u can only import.

to export obj, u first need to load the plugin in the plug in manager.

# 3 24-06-2005 , 02:11 AM

it worked

thanks for that user added image

# 4 24-06-2005 , 10:52 AM

OBJ format going wierd

I exported on of my models as an OBJ format, and just to check that it worked, i imported it into maya. However when i imported it, it made some of my faces/edges go really weird, as u can see below. (before if what it looks like as an mb format, and after is after i exported it into an OBJ format)

If someone knows whats going on and how to fix it, please tell me, cos im stumped :headbang:

thanks, Joel

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 25-06-2005 , 11:12 PM

?

anyone know whats goin on here?

# 6 26-06-2005 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber

try making your polys be 4 sided

I think your problem could be that your polys are not 4 sided. From experience with other programs when exporting to other formats, such as obj, having more than 4 sided polys can create holes.

What do I mean by four sided polys you ask? Well, its when an object such as your example, are broken into multiple polygons, and each polygon are seperated by a group of 4 edges and 4 vertices. For example, if you where to make a 5 pointed star, you whouldn't just create the outer edges of the star. You would also have to break up the star into multple polys. You do this by after creating the outer edges, you then use the split polygon tool. A wonderful new tool added to Maya 6.0. Another words if you go into face mode, and click on one of the faces, the total vertices and egdes to that selected face should be no more than 4 edges and 4 vertices.

# 7 26-06-2005 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
oh yaeh, I also forgot to mention to you when exporting to obj format. I would not suggest texturing you objects in any kind of 3d app if your only going to export as an obj file afterwards. The reason being is because you will do all that hard earned work laying out the uv's and mapping your textures into your object to find out that none of this will be included in the export. Obj format is the most standard format their is when it comes to 3d modeling. It is like you creating a Microsoft word document with all the fancy fonts and then saving it as a txt file which will result in lost of the different fancy fonts and font sizes that you used to create your document.

# 8 28-06-2005 , 03:40 AM
Subscriber
Also check all your verts are welded before exporting