Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 10-09-2006 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
The eyes are still too far apart. They also look somewhat small.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 17 10-09-2006 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
Really? That last post was a before-after pic... In fact I thought I put them to close. Alrighty Ill look it over again..:headbang:

# 18 10-09-2006 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
the top of the head is looking a million times better

First year 3D Grad
# 19 11-09-2006 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
Alrighty, changed the head alot. Eyes closer together and reshaped the head

user added image

user added image

# 20 11-09-2006 , 07:56 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Eldwick

Yeah theres alot to improve on. I think you need to look at facial anatomy as a whole and how things line up. You shouldnt even have contemplated a texture this early on. Get over to www.3d.sk and have a look at Loomis's drawings of facial anatomy. These simple basics will help you judge form and placement.

Also poly count and time is really irrelavant too right now, when the fundamentals arent there.

Turbo Dans example is good of the profile take note of it. But if you can get photo reference then do so, if not I'll post some up

Sorry to be so harsh.

I'll swing by later to see how its going
Cheers for now
Jay

# 21 11-09-2006 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay! The harshest comments are the most helpful, I think I might just start over since I dont seem to be getting very far with this model here is a wire of this head before I start over:

user added image

# 22 11-09-2006 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
My next atempt will be to model this man from www.3d.sk

user added image

Last edited by Eldwick; 11-09-2006 at 10:22 AM.
# 23 11-09-2006 , 01:25 PM
Cool, just before you do start over, do you save in stages? This is by far the best way to model, then if it goes wrong or you cant undo something you can always go to a previous version.

Also the mesh is way to dense at this stage, keep it as low as possible until proportions/features cant be tweaked anymore, then divide the mesh or create new loops and build up.

Also the loops on this are to small or none existant, especially around the nose areas, I'll do a sketch and post for you...

Jay

# 24 11-09-2006 , 01:25 PM
Cool, just before you do start over, do you save in stages? This is by far the best way to model, then if it goes wrong or you cant undo something you can always go to a previous version.

Also the mesh is way to dense at this stage, keep it as low as possible until proportions/features cant be tweaked anymore, then divided the mesh or create new loops and build up.

Also the loops on this are to small or none existant, especially around the nose areas, I'll do a sketch and post for you...

Jay

# 25 11-09-2006 , 01:38 PM
Okay, loops and a bit of form basics...the loops make up the muscle mass under the skin. This allows for near correct deformation when animating

Cheers
Jay

Attached Images
# 26 11-09-2006 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
hay man, heads a vast imprvement over the very first post in this thread and i think if you follow jays wonderful advice you`ll crack it.
I would also look in to paying at www.3d.sk as I have found it to be one of the better things I have paid for.
referance is ALWAYS the key and that place has buckets of it. (just don`t get lost looking at all the pritty ladyies :p), just look at the differance 3 or 4 images here made.

keep at it

# 27 11-09-2006 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
Thanks again Jay! Yes I do save in stages, or atleast duplicate and hide. When I get back from school I will upload my wire so far.

tweetytunes: Ya I think I will purchase a membership later today so I can get those high res pictures

# 28 12-09-2006 , 05:45 AM
Subscriber
Okay here is what I did today keep in mind loops and staying with the ref pic:

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 29 12-09-2006 , 01:24 PM
Good start, much much better. Though you have too much detail around the lips at this stage and what is the purpose of the edges above the lips that end on a 5 sider? remove it. Get rid of the tight loop thats near the lips as well, concentrate on form alone right now because thats where the previous character went wrong, and by keeping the head res low you can do it easier with arsing with the details...

Also I woundnt have the lips or nose done either until the rest of the loops were positoned better. Try to keep them as evenly space as possible. Sometimes you may have to redirect and split new loops to replace old ones and by have the two elements above done now will only make it harder.

Still a long way to go but keep it up

Jay

# 30 13-09-2006 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber