Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-11-2006 , 06:04 AM

Shaft

I don't know if the word is right in English, if not, feal free to correct me.
I've made this in maya, but it doesn't look good, at least that's how I feel about it. What can I do to make it look more realistic, though it's for a fantasy game. It's like the pilars are sticking out in style.
https://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1417/blahblahpd4.png

Greetings Brecht

# 2 03-11-2006 , 08:48 AM
Subscriber
Depends, for an object as basic as that, its not much you can do with it. It looks good like that, however, i suppose to make it more realistic, you could add a cut a few more faces around the top and bottom.

You could get some very realistic results by using a good texture and bump map. Or by adding cracks etc. but thats add more geometry, and if its for a game (which i dont kno too much about) you wanna keep your poly count to a minimum.

Not much help sorry

user added image

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 03-11-2006 , 12:47 PM
for a fantasy game i think i would look at picture references...

do a google image search for 'greek column'

there's three kinds of columns we learned about in school, doric, ionic, and that third one that always eludes me... (doing a search myself brought me to 'corinthian') so do a search for those types and receive some inspiration from there.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 03-11-2006 , 07:03 PM
Senior Software Developer
Having worked on an open source project for a fantasy MMO, my advice would be to use polys to model it or convert this to polygon.

Also as Neo said look at reference images for greek and roman architucture, there is loads out there on the web. If you want I can pass over a model for you, for reference... Let me know.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)