Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 13-04-2003 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
hehehe, um i do goto targa, and i compose in premier. I composite in after effects. And i don't mind the compression, cause i just use it to distribute the video to you guys, and all my other online friends.

Sorry about the compression but its only a meg for a 15 second video at 720x480 (regular DV at the same resolution is 1 GIG EVRY 4 MINUTES! 256mb a second = )

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 14-04-2003 at 11:38 PM.
# 32 14-04-2003 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber
OKAY got the Keyframe issue fixed (thnx to Gekko) and the animation is much smoother! I will post a new video as soon as I render again. I must have bumped the camera AGAIN AAAARRRG!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 33 15-04-2003 , 03:10 AM
Subscriber
Okay, here's the new animation, although i think i have to make the second ship move faster, and i'm still not happy with all of the animation on the first one, so probably more tweaking. Anyway enjoy!

Last edited by Vectorman; 08-05-2003 at 01:16 AM.
# 34 15-04-2003 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber
Here's a very quick Luminescense map, anyone know how to make them colered? and even more than that how to make multiple different colored lumi maps!?!?

Last edited by Vectorman; 15-04-2003 at 07:15 PM.
# 35 19-04-2003 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber

This might work:

Just a "Stab in the darkness"...
Make the lumin map the exact same size as the texture of the ship. Then just paint the colour of your lights on it.

Suggest using painting software that suports layers, so you can work with the UFO texture in the background, and then remove the background texture and save just the lumin texture, and then import it into maya, and aply it to the "Incandescense" and you get lots of nice glowing spots on your UFO with the color you put on the texture.

Let me know if it worked!

-DX-
# 36 19-04-2003 , 07:47 PM
hey this is cool, very indepence day!! (which is good!!!) big spaceships killing things always rocks!

You were asking about your animation of the spaceship: Just when it fires (or just after) it dips towards the grass and changes direction (back up) very quickly. I would think that shomething that big wouldnt be able to change direction so quickly user added image Just my two pence worth! user added image

Looking forwards to seeing more (That texture map for the big ship is amazing!!!)

Alan

Ps. Oh instead of blowing up the white house, blow up buckingham palace!!! user added image that would be cool! user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 37 19-04-2003 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber
Yo durker, Ii didn't think to put colors directly on the map, thought those things always had to be greyscale. Will try that in a sec. I gotz photoshop so it should not take long.

And pure mornin, thanx its really turnin out cool. I plan on uv mapping the smaller ship soon so it will look much better. Yes the mother ship is quite amazing, and like i said i cna't take credit (wish i could). A friend i met on a message board told me he'd help me with the texturing.

Also the most recent animation should have all the jerkyness cleared up yay (except in deleting around 20 keyframes i lost some of the timing and will just have to tweak the positioning in the graph)

# 38 29-04-2003 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
You can only put one color on the map. Otherwise it won't work = (

Anyone know a way around this? or do i have to make a seperate post in the lighting forum?

Will be posting VERY soon: Eli (imatool here on SM) just finished his project and will continue wit hshooting the movie. As soon as i get some shots, i will start posting.

And pure morning, we will blow up the barn at my school (the building posted a few back. It should be pretty funny!!!!

Last edited by Vectorman; 29-04-2003 at 08:17 AM.
# 39 30-04-2003 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
OKAY, ELI is uploading the new shot right now, i should have it within an hour (depending on Download time). And tomorrow there will be MUCH more. So i'ma be real busy posting in here gonna need all you're help.

Question, everyone know in Independence day when the mother ship emreges from all the clouds for the first time? Eli is thinking he wants to do a similar shot. Any ideas on where to start? I'm thinking some kind of particle cloud with either collisions, or fields to make it look like the ship is interacting with the clouds.

# 40 30-04-2003 , 01:21 AM
Particle Collisions are expensive in terms of rendering and will slow down your comp unless you have a supercomp. The way I am now doing it is adding air fields to anything I want to have collide and then parenting them and linking them in teh dynamic relationship editor. Seems to work well if you add turbulence on in the same way. If you give the air a low magnitude then it will gently push the clouds away. And you could have air jets and stuff that will disperse the clouds in a more dramatic way by increasing the magnitude etc.

Hope that helps, if you need a hand let me know. I was messing with this exact thing this week and I can show you the test stuff I did if youwant.

Alan

IMDB
# 41 30-04-2003 , 01:21 AM
On a curious note, that effect was achieved by using compositing rather than 3d generated imagery. The cloud itself was salt recorded on a tank of water, and then composited with the 3d ships. Cool huh? user added image

# 42 30-04-2003 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
OMG, thats like the alkaseltzer dissolve in star trek. Nice random fact dude! Doesn't help me tho = ) Any ideas man?

# 43 30-04-2003 , 03:34 AM
vectorman: check out the last post on my thread in the WIP there's a pic there of smoke being disturbed by the air fields which is what I was talking aout. there is also an avi of it the part you wanna see begins at about 14-17secs in.

Alan

IMDB
# 44 30-04-2003 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
Interesting maybe you can teach me. Gonna be alotmore smoke tho = )

# 45 30-04-2003 , 04:13 AM
ok you can have as much smoke as you want here's basically how you do it (it may be a litle ropey cause it's 5am here and i need to sleep!!)

create your smoke emitter however you want it cloud object etc.

Then create an airfield with the following params:

magnitude: (i used 5.04) 1 - 1000 depending on how strong you want the smoke to be pushed

Attenuation: 0.12 (controls the falloff of the effect)

Max Distance: 3.3

Use Max Distance: On

Direction: (which ever way you want the smoke to move when the object hits it i set mine to z = 1)

then go to window>>relationship editors>>dynamic relationships

then select your particle system on the left hand side.
Your airfield should appear in the pane on the right make sure it is highlighted (this makes the particle system react to the air field)

Then just keyframe your airfield moving thru the smoke and it should disperse based on your air field params. You could even parent the airfield to your ship (which is what i guess you wanna do) Just make sure it doesnt turn your object into a rigid body, if it does just go to the outliner and delete that node and it wont be anymore.

Maybe on that shot with the space ship shooting someone you could have dust clouds and stuff being thrown up from the ground if you had a particle system on the ground that was affected by the air field.

This technique will give you more control than particle collisions as well I think. experiment and see what you come up with

I've attached my mb file . It's basic cause

IMDB