Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-10-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber

Subd -> Polygon questions

Hi their all,
I have a questions that I came accross while modeling a human foot. I am sort of using the same method as creating a hand by using subdivision and switching between standard mode and poly proxy mode. My goal is to keep the polygons low enough so that when I convert back to polygons, it matches the amount vertices to my character's leg. Another reason why I want to set the polygons to be low enough is because I still have some work to do on the body area and having too many vertices just make things more complicated.

The problem though is when I choose vertices in the subdiv to polygon option box, and select a level greater than 0, the ankle area creates more vertices then leg. However, setting the level to 0, I then loose the creases that I made.

So I wanted to know how do you get the crease to show up when you convert back to polygons without increasing the level detail?

# 2 09-10-2005 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
As far as I know, you can't. When you convert from sub-d's to polys you lose your creases, but you can work in poly proxy mode with sub-d's, just right click on the sub-d and select "Polygon" (I think it's called polygon). It might slow down your computer a bit on heavy meshes though.

A little tip: if you don't want the sub-d's wire to show when you're working in poly proxy (I know I don't), just selext the Split Poly Tool, and the only thing left is the poly wire...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 09-10-2005 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
ok, thanks
Though I wasn't talking about the command "full crease" or "partial crease". That was my bad in explaining and I apologize for that.

Anywho, what I was talking about was after moving the vertices myself to create a sort of looking like crease, it wouldn't show up after converting. However, silly me, I think the problem was that I wasn't moving the correct vertices that get exported in the conversion. I am going to retry and see if I get it right this time and I will let you guys know if this was the case.