Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-05-2003 , 07:43 PM

Modelingproblem on a Polygon Proxy!.... please help!!

Hi guys!
I got an annoying problem with my Polygon Proxy thingy...

I created a cube did i, deleted one side of the faces and duplicated it as an instance. Did a Proxy Smooth and than extruded it somtimes upward and than in the x-direction. (still with me..? hehe)

Now I get a space between the original and the duplicate, so I just delete the between faces to get 1 whole piece... But here's is the problem: when I delete the last faces Iget a weird gap between them. can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong??
greetings.. Bastiaan

------------------------------------------------
...addict...but luckely for me it's Maya!
# 2 08-05-2003 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
I'm not sure why theres a gap coming up - but u should not try to "merge" an original and a dublicate. The dublicate is only for reference while modelling. So if you want to work this way with smooth proxy - you should only apply the smooth proxy to on of the sides (the original).

However, I highly recommend you to use "Connect Poly Shape" instead, which work like smooth proxy, but with much more features. Version 3.5 can be downloaded here: https://www.lightstorm3d.com/tools/fr...PolyShape.html

I hope this make sense.

Kühl

Btw, if you have problems with CPS - let me know.

Kühl

Last edited by Kühl; 08-05-2003 at 08:44 PM.
# 3 09-05-2003 , 07:48 AM
I've always wanted to ask this:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of CPS over SubDs? They seem rather similar in approach.

# 4 09-05-2003 , 08:21 AM
Subscriber
With sub-d you work with a subdivision surface - like a "smoothed" surface. With CPS you work with a polygon object, which you see smoothed certain times of your choice. You can go back and forth between these "smooth degrees". This gives you more control than sub-d.

Lets say you'd like to make a basic torso with a proxy, and afterwards model the details in regular poly. With sub-d - you must convert to poly. When you do so, the object will still be a "smoothed" version of the proxy. With CPS, you can delete proxy mesh and continue working on your model at whatever "level" you'd like. Lets say back to the proxy (no smooth) in this example.

In the picture - you can see the differents between the converted sub-d and the CPS (with deleted proxy mesh).

Theres other tools in CPS which ease your workflow, but this is the basic.

I hope this make sense.

Kühl
# 5 09-05-2003 , 08:27 AM
Subscriber
Btw, if you are only to do your model in sub-d, I dont think theres any advantages in CPS. However, I think that alot of people always end up in polygons when the model are to be uv-mapped and textured.

What do you others think?

Kühl
# 6 09-05-2003 , 11:03 AM
eej Kuhl,
the cps tool sure did it for me! That thing is great... thanx very much... but I still don't know how to get rid of that gap... just curious.
Greetings! bastiaan

# 7 09-05-2003 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber
upload the file, so we can have a look....

Kühl
# 8 09-05-2003 , 01:37 PM
check my first post at the top of this page... there you can see my problem...

# 9 09-05-2003 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
Yes I see - but I'd like to have a look at the file <--- if you want me to help you make the gap dissapear...

Kühl
# 10 09-05-2003 , 01:48 PM
ehehe well here it is..

# 11 09-05-2003 , 03:15 PM
Subscriber
I cant find the solution to the gaps... sorry.

Use CPS instead.

Kühl