Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-08-2004 , 09:40 AM

Noise

Hi there.
Well, Im actually moving from MAX to MAYA and in some cases I try to find some common tools or procedures to ease my learning.
In this case, Im trying to find in maya a kinda deformer like one called Noise in MAX. I cannot find a similar deformer in maya. I was searching but there are no deformers like that.

The question so could be: how can I add noise directly to a surface... I mean, randomize vertex position, to get a look, for example like a stone, or ground, or any irregular surface? something like noise modifier in 3DSMAX...

Thanks a lot in advance buddies.

...I just wanna learn...
# 2 23-08-2004 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
you could add a shader
then under bump map you could add noise or any another predefined shader
--
i wouldnt show up the in view window but would at rendering

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 23-08-2004 , 10:41 AM
that's fine, but actually Im talking about a way to deform the geometry, and not the surface appeareance... I need this for example, to delete history... and continue working with the mesh (already deformed)...

...I just wanna learn...
# 4 23-08-2004 , 03:09 PM
Doesn't exist within Maya that I've ever found. There is a script on highend3d.com called zRandP. I think there are several scripts that will do what you want.

# 5 23-08-2004 , 06:53 PM
You could make the geometry a soft body then apply a turbulence field to it. I use that to get random surface displacement quite often. then you delete the particles created by the softbody.

# 6 23-08-2004 , 07:03 PM
Here is the randomize Points script.

Attached Files
File Type: zip rndpoints.zip (11.8 KB, 278 views)