Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-11-2002 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber

Non manifold Geometry

Hello all,

I have a question about splitting polygons. In the Maya Fundamentals tutorials that came with the book the author mentioned avoiding non-manifold geometry. He described this as a polygon with more than four sides. (then he said five in a different tutorial.) What affects could non-manifold geometry have on a model during the different steps in finishing it? i.e. modeling, animation, coloring, rendering. I know how to avoid having this type of geometry but am not completley sure why I should be avoiding it.

user added image

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!
# 2 02-12-2002 , 09:07 AM
Some functions won't work at all or they can produce weird results if your model has non-manifold geometry. Non-manifold can mean that one or more polygons has a different normal direction than the adjacent ones. It can also mean a polygon with less than 3 vertices or some loose vertices without any edges connected to it (and many other things). I like to think that non-manifold geometry is a synomym to illegal geometry...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 02-12-2002 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
ah okay thank you for the clearup

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!