Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-03-2004 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber

Circle Cutting

Im trying to make a Yin Yang symbol. You can see how im trying to do it from the picture. I have a circle and 2 smaller circles inside that one. I want to cut the 2 small circles in half and then connect them together (so it looks like the red line). I can't seam to see the option to do this however

user added image

I then want to use the 's' shaped line to cut the big circle in half so I can bevel plus them and have my basic symbol

Thanks as always

_LIVID

Attached Images
# 2 10-03-2004 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
As an update, I have made the 's' shape but there is still a slight seam in the middle which I have to get rid of

_LIVID

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 3 10-03-2004 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
to make the "S".....

I would ceate two circles, then go into the channel box for both of them and modify the "sweep" value. @ 180 degrees, the circle will become a half-circle. You can do -180 for the second circle to make the other half-circle. AFter this, select both circles and do EditCurves>Attach. I believe it actually creates a new curve when you do this, so you'll have both your circles plus your connected curve. You might want to delete your circles now to avoid confusion. After this, you'll have a knot in the middle. To get rid of this, choose EditCurves>RebuildCrurves option box. Depending on how many spans your circles had in the beginning will probably adjust what the settings should be in here. Try default settings to begin with though and see what you get.

# 4 10-03-2004 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
I don't know if you figured it out yet... But here it goes:

1. select edit point selection method on the first circle
2. select the 2 edit points on the x-axis
3. edit curves > detach curves
4. select the lower part of the circle and delete it
5. repeat step 1 to 3 for the second circle
6. select the upper part of the second circle and delete it
7. now select the first circle half
8. shift-select the second circle half
9. edit curves > attach curves

that should be it... you can now play around with the curve's shape by moving edit points or CV's user added image

whatever!
# 5 10-03-2004 , 01:15 PM
Subscriber
Cheers guys, as you can see I have the 's' curve without any seams. Is there a way I can use this 's' curve to cut the main circle. Then I will bevel plus both of them to have y symbol.

I want to do it this way becase if I bevel the 's' them bevel plus the main circle and booean the 's' with the main circle I will lose that smoothed edge that you get with the bevel plus.

Do you know what I mean?

_LIVID

# 6 10-03-2004 , 08:03 PM
Subscriber
I have experemented with the Booleans but as far as I can see you need to cut the main circle in half with the 's' cutter when they are both un-beveled

_LIVID

Attached Images

Last edited by Tim_LIVID; 10-03-2004 at 08:42 PM.
# 7 13-03-2004 , 11:14 AM
Subscriber
Come'on, so many experts. Some one out there has the answer, im sure Hmmmm?

lol

_LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 8 13-03-2004 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
Well, I actually tried to model one using fillets and trimming out unneeded portions afterwards, but that didn't work so I gave up because I was really discouraged. I wrote out all the steps to do it perfectly, but ran into a problem afterwards. :\

The problem was that it doesn't fillet well near the pointy ends of the ying-yangs and I couldn't intersect the two fillets I had to trim them down to look smooth no matter what I did. Grrr... all that work and to have a stupid problem like that...

sorry

# 9 13-03-2004 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
IGNOOR THIS << I tried to delete this post but it wouldn't let me >> IGNOOR THIS

Last edited by Tim_LIVID; 13-03-2004 at 03:45 PM.
# 10 13-03-2004 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
I know! It's not gonna look that amazing at the end but it's causing soo much problems. I have uploaded the file....not that there is too much to look at to be honest. I have put the cut out shap in there as well, but as you can see the nice bevel effect doesn't go around the whole rim user added image

_LIVID

P.S. Cheers for trying, I appreciate it.

Attached Files
File Type: mb yin yang.mb (519.2 KB, 244 views)
# 11 14-03-2004 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
Well, here's a file I created... it's several curves that were lofted together to make what you see. The curves are all in a group and are hidden and I believe I kept the history, so you can move the curves around any way you want to modify the lofted surface or you can reloft the curves of course. The Edges are smooth for the most part, but if you look closely on the top portion, you can see a line of distortion. This is because I couldn't get the curves just right to prevent the lofted surface from intersecting itself when it was created. If I did try to correct this problem, the curvature of the edge would become distorted... *sigh* I spent about an hour and a half trying different placement of curves, lofting, relofting, slightly rotating several of the curves, reoffsetting curves, and moving vertices of the profile curves in an attempt to fix this problem, but have had absolutely no luck at all... :\

Perhaps you can try your luck if you want, but I'm not sure you'll get very far. Just to let you know, the curve was created with three half circles being attached to each other and I shrunk them down for the top portion by EditCurves>Offset using any value from .1 to .2

bleh... sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm going to try a polygon approach now and see if I can't get good results.....

Attached Files
File Type: mb yingyang.mb (55.5 KB, 238 views)
# 12 14-03-2004 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber
one hour later...... w00t!!! I have a fantastic low poly version that is flawless. I took the yingyang curve, lofted it as a polygon, merged vertices so it had no seams, subdivided it then moved vertices around to make it look smoother (couldn't just increase the divisions for the loft because it only goes up to 10 for some strange reason and Polygons>Smooth would not have given good results), then extruded the top edges around the perimiter several times to create a beveled look, snapped various vertices together, merged vertices, then finally tweaked the normals to finish it off. whew.....

Here it is... polygon version is ok, right? lol

Attached Files
File Type: mb polyyingyang.mb (81.6 KB, 245 views)
# 13 14-03-2004 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Cheers, not sure what's best.

Here's the grand plan. I wanna have the Yin Tang symbol. Then hollow them out, then put a Cetic fence in the hollow I have made.

Do you know what I mean?

_LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 14 14-03-2004 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
Mmm well, one I don't know what the Yin Tang symbol is and can't seem to find images of it through googles and two, I don't know what you mean by sticking a Cetic fence inside it. lol. I can imagine it being hollowed out, but do you want it like a hole all the way through or not? ALso, I don't even know what a Cetic fence it to begin with. =P

If you do want to hollow it out though, you can always try booleans. Another easy easy way is to just use the split polygon tool to cut faces around the top portion, delete the inner faces, do an EditPolygons>FillHole command, then extrude the new face downward to make your crevice to make it hollow. (I think that's what you';re wanting to do... not sure lol)

Hmmm well, I hope you figure it out.

# 15 14-03-2004 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber

Attached Images