Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-03-2004 , 08:43 PM

Memory Exception error when more than 3 models are in scene

Hey guys!

I have 4 models that i want to put together to animated them basically starships and a space station but when i try to put them together and just render the current scene i receive a memory exception error "not enough free memory" on maya, i have

2gb ram
nvidia quadro 750
pentium 4 2.4c

I read on a thread that maybe is the size of the textures beyond 80192? or something like that and the windows XP virtual memory doesn't go higher than 1.6gb?

I used some textures i found on the net and some of them in photoshop i resize it at 1024x1024 pixels and 72 resolution or maybe 86?

(still newbie at what rez i should create textures)

any way i can trouble shoot this?

ps:

Running optimize scene from the file menu is the same as running from command line optimizer -? (forgot the exact command)

as always thanks in advance!!!

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 2 16-03-2004 , 08:46 PM
textures in maya cant be above 8k that's correct.

Your textures should be roughly two times bigger than the size you will ever see them on screen. E.g. if your movie is at 1024x778 then your textures should be 2048x2048. That's only a rough estimation though.

As far as the scene goes. You may want to try referencing your models rather than having them in the scene directly that may help. So take each model and export it as a seperate mb/ma file. then go to the file>>reference editor and create the reference (read the docs for more specific details).

That will lower the scene size and hopefully help you out.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 16-03-2004 , 10:31 PM
Try to render ti with batch render!!! So mutch ehelp from me!!

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 4 17-03-2004 , 01:28 PM
I exported the different models and created a reference of them in a new scene only 3 models a planet, a station and a starship, still have the error...

i notice that the pc drags when i view the models in texture mode

any ideas?

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....