Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-01-2006 , 04:46 AM
EduSciVis-er

Neck on dog and booleans

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to Maya and this site. I hope this question is in the right place, let me know if not. Anyways, I'm doing the cartoon dog movie tutorial and am having problems with attaching the head to the neck. The manual says that for using boolean union, both the meshes have to be closed, and I realized that my cylinder (neck) didn't have caps (that was the default setting) so I made a new one with capping the top and the bottom. With this however, there is a weird revolveTopCap thing which affects moving the hulls strangely and this doesn't seem to be congruent with the tutorial. I'm not sure what's supposed to be happening with this, so any help would be much appreciated. user added image Sorry for the long "question".
PS I'm using Maya PLE 6.0... poor student and all user added image Don't know if that changes anything.

# 2 01-02-2007 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber
This was two years ago, but it has no answer and I'm experiencing the same problem.

# 3 12-02-2007 , 01:52 PM

Attaching Head and Neck

I remember doing the dog tutorial last year and i was great. I dont remember the specs but here are two solutions you could use for fixing your problem.

If you are working in sub-D's try converting the mesh to poly's, That way you could select both mesh's and combine. Once they are combined, select the closet vertices and merge the two. Keep doing this all the way around the neck until the two meshes become one.

Another option is to create a collar the "hides" the seam. Both will work just fine if you plan on animating the character.

Hope this helps,
Lee Krukowski
www.dvillusions.com