Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-03-2003 , 12:03 PM
Kevin

Gallery ideas?

We are looking for ideas for a new gallery that dave is creating.

What would you like to see and how could we better it?

Maybe a monthly "featured artist"
Maybe a "top artist area" for the 10 most awesome artists?

ideas guys?

many thanks

# 2 12-03-2003 , 12:39 PM
I second the first idea but I'm not sure with the other one. I mean what would be a fair way to rank people who are totally different? Maybe sorting the gallery according to most viewed images would be enough? Just my 0.02€ user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 12-03-2003 , 01:22 PM
Subscriber
My pic have had its count reset several times user added image

hehehe

How about a dissection of the projects?
In addition of presenting the final gallery image, how about also show some wireframe, and adding comments from the creator, about the various challenges that was involved. Maybe sneak inn some tips and tricks along the way?

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 12-03-2003 , 01:26 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by kbrown
I second the first idea but I'm not sure with the other one. I mean what would be a fair way to rank people who are totally different? Maybe sorting the gallery according to most viewed images would be enough? Just my 0.02€ user added image

yeah sorry kman it would wor on the views! the top 10 views would auto move into a "dedicated area"

# 5 12-03-2003 , 03:54 PM
Yeah, I like the "Featured" artist area idea.

We could have M interview the artist with a set of canned-questions, and have the artist write a snippet about the shot, and possible "making-of" screenies...

I know, it's kinda like the 3dluvr site, but obviously, ours would be Maya related...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 12-03-2003 , 03:58 PM

Originally posted by ragecgi
Yeah, I like the "Featured" artist area idea.

We could have M interview the artist with a set of canned-questions, and have the artist write a snippet about the shot, and possible "making-of" screenies...

I know, it's kinda like the 3dluvr site, but obviously, ours would be Maya related...

Actually I´ve always liked this how-I-did-it snippets. They give great insight.

# 7 12-03-2003 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
the thing is, with both ideas, we will have the same people there cos, well, one person is featured artist now, and theyll continue to be for ages until someone does sumthing better, but im gettin the feeling that people would still pick the original artist because theyre so used to their work, kinda thing

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 8 12-03-2003 , 05:45 PM
Kevin
im sure we can do some cool stuff nem user added image have faith little brother

# 9 12-03-2003 , 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Nem
the thing is, with both ideas, we will have the same people there cos, well, one person is featured artist now, and theyll continue to be for ages until someone does sumthing better, but im gettin the feeling that people would still pick the original artist because theyre so used to their work, kinda thing

If you´re a featured artist because you actually turned some great images, wouldn´t you deserve to be there? People shouldn´t be there "for ages" if everybody starts whipping up some stuff, instead of talking so much bull in the forum (myself included). Hehe

# 10 12-03-2003 , 05:49 PM
Kevin
talking bull ? who me ? ..... NEVER user added image

# 11 12-03-2003 , 06:21 PM
Hehe Kevin, "would have never thought about it" ...

# 12 12-03-2003 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
alow people to comment on the work maybe?

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 13 12-03-2003 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
Having good work featured seems to spur people into becoming better.

Why else would you post your work on the internet for people to rip apart? We take chances and the ones that can benefit from critiques and suggestions ultimately end up getting better.

I am tremendously intimidated even being on this forum. I know my work is nowhere near you guys but if I stick with it I know I will get better. My "expertise" lies elsewhere in life and this is all new to me.

By having featured artists' works on this forum it gives people like me a chance to learn something about the way things are done.

Anyway, this forum continues to get better and better and I know everyone will benefit from the result.

Done ranting.

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
# 14 12-03-2003 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
Since this site mainly dedicated to people learning Maya.

Why not have a Limited Progresive Area of selected artists.
Where you can see there first attempts, through to the best they have achieved, with the help provided from Simply Maya team.

I'm sure that some of the moderators have kept a few of there earlier attempts at Maya. Plus you have students whose work is progressing nicely.
So why not have 4 or 5 star pupils work showcased?

Simply posting Ultra High quality work, would indicate to a Newbie that Simply Maya is more for Intermediate to Professional and could potentially chase them away.

My two cents errrrrrrrrr Pennies for what its worthuser added image

# 15 12-03-2003 , 09:28 PM
Good point's too Gary, as that exact thing has made me almost throw in the towel a few times in my career's pastuser added image

Maybe like an "SMU" showoff area, where simply each post to a user's thread would be an updated pic as to where they are at that time in thier life, or something along those lines...

Maybe a little too involved for right now tho.... dunno...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com