Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-05-2008 , 07:17 PM

Insect Wings animation

I've created a cartoon Bee in Maya 8.5 but I need to animate the wings independently from the Bees movements and at a rapid rate (say 5 times per second). How would I do it? The timeline is in seconds, can I change that to work in milliseconds for example? I'm taking it keyframing is the best way to do it?

Any advice please?
Thanks
Mike

# 2 20-05-2008 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
To get a secondary animation on the wings you can do this with lots of different methods.

The one i would use is.

an expression.
l_wing01.rotateZ = sin (time * 10) * 40;

L_wing01 is the wing object
.rotateZ is the direction of the wing flapping

sin is returning the sine of an angle specified in radians

*10 is the amount of times per second

*40 is the degree the wing will flap inbetween.

have fun.

Last edited by AikoWorld; 20-05-2008 at 09:15 PM.
# 3 21-05-2008 , 01:50 AM

Thanks

I'm relatively new to Maya so haven't delved into MEL yet. I did manage to do it though. Here is what I did:

I set the wings in their starting position and set a keyframe. Next I positioned each wing to their emd point (left wing 50 and right wing 130) and set a second keyframe. Finally I returned the wings to their original position and created a 3rd keyframe.

With the Bee selected, open the graph editor (Window > Animation Editors > Graph Editor), go to Curves > Post Infinity> Cycle. The to move the Bee around while it's wings are flapping, I just grouped the Bee parts (wings, body, head) and keyframed as usual. To slow the wings down just space the keyframes out on the timeline.

Might not be the best way but it's done the job. Hope this helps someone else looking for the same thing at some point.

Thanks for your help
Mike

# 4 22-05-2008 , 04:23 AM
Subscriber
jumped the gun there Akio..user added image

no doubt the above Akio would have a better and more succinct way of putting this.., he might help with the timing because im going to 'wing it' so to speak.

you have your low poly mesh of the bee, yes?

you have a very basic skeleton and have smooth bound it (skinned it with the root joint,, being the first joint between the wing skeleton.., yes?

shift select the joints from one side until the last joint, at the wing tip.., stop there, then continue to the other wing side and do the same.., now when you rotate.., the wings should do their thing.

as for timing.., you do the math.., if your ntsc.., im not.., but at 30 frames a second you could probably keyframe.., god..,as fast as you want.., say, first key frame with wings up at frame 1.., middle mouse button to frame 5 and set a key.., the wings are still in the up position.., middle mouse to frame 5.., put the wings into a down position and set the key.., then cycle with infinity.., post

thats a start.., you might need to check the keying because you will probably not get a nice loop with those settings.., im running out the door.., best i can do atm

Mirek user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 22-05-2008 , 10:21 AM
Erm, yes I've created a poly mesh bee but there is no need for a skeleton for my purpose as it's not a human-type bee as such. They are simple semi-transparent wings that just need to flap up and down, they don't need to be complicated like the flapping pattern of a bird. I just changed the pivot point so that they rotate around the body slightly and then key framed. I'm creating a short (3 min animation with it so I'l post it on youtube when it's done and add a link.

Thnaks for your help
Mike

# 6 22-05-2008 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
sorry mate, didnt read the mail properly.., sounds like your on top of it.., when you said flapping., i thought.., 'flapping'.., when you said never done MEL.., i didnt think you understood what had been instructed.., now, after reading again.., all sounds great.., im keeping that expression given to you by that very generous lad.., Akio.., generous with the good oil (good information).

im wondering which channel or the expression is fed into.., im not getting the full picture in my mind.., where did you use the expression.., in the channel box?? which connection??

Last edited by mirek03; 22-05-2008 at 10:32 AM.
# 7 22-05-2008 , 11:05 AM
Thanks a lot user added image I need to ask another question but I'll out it in another thread..

Thanks again
Mike

# 8 22-05-2008 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber
i put that expression on rotate z.., in the channel box.., put 100 for the amount of flapping.., and.., man.., thats impressive.., works well, very well

# 9 22-05-2008 , 11:25 AM
Subscriber
good you could use it mirek.

jup the expression just needed to be added in the attributes chanel of the appropriate rotation for example X.

In the Attribute channel,

Right click the Rotation X
Go down to Editors
Expressions

and type in the expression.

Just change the l_wing01 to the correct object name.

Expressions are allot of fun.

# 10 22-05-2008 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber
yo dude.., yea i did that.., works a treat.., nice to be able to edit expressions too eh.., ive noticed you know your way around them LOL, user added image

cheers dude and many many thanks user added image

# 11 22-05-2008 , 12:01 PM
Subscriber
No probs, i need to know these things its my job user added image

I try to help out on these things where i can on SM.

# 12 22-05-2008 , 12:22 PM
Subscriber
of course i know.., hence.., many many thanks, you have already helped me many many times.., believe me

ive been wanting to thank you in some way for ages user added image

# 13 22-05-2008 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
Cool! well thats the fun part learning every day user added image
I love learning new stuff.

# 14 22-05-2008 , 01:49 PM
Subscriber
yea, i believe the arts a magic,

great to give someone a little magic eh !?"

great to learn to learn, gets one through the tough times.., what does the Tao say..?? mistakes and difficulties are a blessing because it feels so good when you learn learn from them.., when you solve them..,

something like that..,

i can speak a little japanese.., nice sentiment.., your alias.., with all respect.., it suites you from what i've seen

very coool user added image sincere it would seem user added image

great for me to have this chance to say hi..,

i gotta get up at 4.30 am to catch a flight to sydney.., so im a crashing dude.., its night here user added image ive got a girl to meet in the morning.., user added image (bliss)

your doing great work for us lowly poor students and those not in the 'inner circle' mate.., appreciated.., you should know that!!!!! user added image

night user added image

# 15 22-05-2008 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
Hey have fun in Sydney, and lots of great times with your girl.

Ah lol poor students, they don`t exist. Everybody is a student, i`m one, even George Lucas is still a student. As we all learn every day. Other wise life would be boring user added image.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

i gotha go back to work in a couple minutes, creating a tree simulation, whoeee user added image

Cy`s have a great weekend.