Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-12-2006 , 09:12 AM

Facial Rigging

I am working on an animation and will be rigging a cartoon character's face. I've had a good look through tutorials and models on this so I have a fair idea of what to do, but I'd appreciate it if someone could take a quick look at this image to give me an idea of whether there is enough geometry or too much, and any suggestions they might have. It is a little odd because the mouth is on one side of the face rather than in the middle as I usually see (for example in people) - just my drawing style. The image is just of the polygon mesh with all the edges hilighted. the gaps around the eyes fill in with subdivision.

Attached Images
# 2 05-12-2006 , 10:38 PM
seriously? 66 views and no suggestions user added image

# 3 05-12-2006 , 10:59 PM
well i think the area below the mouth (on the right bottom) could use another division or so. unless the mouth is gonna act like a hinge i'd assume you want the surrounding topology to move along with the mouth at least a little. a division down there would help...

well actually looking at the image again, you could do with another loop all around the mouth, not just at the bottom.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 05-12-2006 , 11:04 PM
user added image

i guess like this, although you could do with maybe one more in each place *shrug*

(and i would assume you'd do the same to the other eye area)

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 06-12-2006 , 04:56 AM
yes, definitely add in some more edge rings. it look like in the spot right above the mouth you could delete some edges then split the polygons to make that an edge ring as well. what does it look like when you smooth it?

# 6 08-12-2006 , 01:46 PM

my works

:attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 08-12-2006 , 04:39 PM
Senior Software Developer
Why have you posted your images on another persons thread?

Etiquette, please learn Etiquette. Not really polite. This post is for comments on this persons work. Hijacking is not good

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 8 08-12-2006 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
hehe. another case of shameless self-plug.
hijacker! user added image

# 9 09-12-2006 , 07:08 AM

Oh sorry me next time not to be able to do this!

Oh sorry me next time not to be able to do this!:headbang:

# 10 10-12-2006 , 06:54 AM
thanks for the advice. I also added eyelids to the eyes so I didn't need the extra geometry around the eyes, since that will only move a little.

# 11 28-12-2006 , 12:09 AM
I've almost had no experience rigging but would it be easier to set the mouth to the center than to the side then making blendshapes accordingly?
Imagine rigging the face and the skin weights involved just to obtain different blendshapes (would be alot of adjusting, right?).

You could make blendshapes of that character's mouth to the side as you like after rigging the mouth in it's neutral position. Of course, if the picture you provided is already the decided neutral position.

hope this helps.

GG,
Long P. Nguyen
# 12 28-12-2006 , 01:58 AM
Senior Software Developer
In this case I would use the Soft Mod Tool and as suggested blend deformers.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 13 31-12-2006 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
haha vlad, totally right :p