Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-06-2007 , 02:36 AM

Is my p.c any good for maya?

I have realised now that iv nearly completed the dog my comp is screaming in pain and moving is very blocky.

here is my spec.

Compaq Presario 2.00 ghtz AMD Athlon 64
1024 KB Ram
160gig HDD.
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series /gcard

I notice in task manager when i move, rotate or do anything in maya the Cpu colum in task manager is at 99 and rests at about 70 I have been deleteing my history but this is starting to fail me abit now as it dont fdo much.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

https://www.dell.com/html/global/topics/gaming/en/us/us/dhs/systems-notebook.html

gimme.
# 2 02-06-2007 , 04:09 AM
Jr.Who

Re: Is my p.c any good for maya?

Originally posted by barnettbeans
I have realised now that iv nearly completed the dog my comp is screaming in pain and moving is very blocky.

here is my spec.

Compaq Presario 2.00 ghtz AMD Athlon 64
1024 KB Ram
160gig HDD.
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series /gcard

I notice in task manager when i move, rotate or do anything in maya the Cpu colum in task manager is at 99 and rests at about 70 I have been deleteing my history but this is starting to fail me abit now as it dont fdo much.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

Your processorÕs good, IÕm hoping that you made a spelling error on the RAM, and your HD wouldnÕt be a problem. How much VRAM do you have? Also, what operating system are you using? user added image

Last edited by Jr.Who; 02-06-2007 at 04:58 AM.
# 3 02-06-2007 , 04:55 AM
Its your intergrated graphics thats causing the slow downs. The Radeon Xpress 200 is intergrated with your CPU chipset which means it uses your system memory and the memory bus thus slowing down everything. If you get yourself a dedicated card, even a reasonably cheap one like in the $100 - $200 range, your performance will be considerably better.

# 4 02-06-2007 , 06:09 AM
im on xp sorry my ram is 1024mb

cheers

https://www.dell.com/html/global/topics/gaming/en/us/us/dhs/systems-notebook.html

gimme.
# 5 02-06-2007 , 11:07 AM
integated graphics adapter == not so good for 3d modeling.

# 6 02-06-2007 , 02:06 PM
That was pretty much my system for running maya a couple months ago, ran pretty good but unbearable when using emitters or fire ect. Or when you have more than 5-6 high poly objects in one scene. Im not sure if it runs like this on all computers, but that was my experience.

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 7 02-06-2007 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
probably have checked this but just to make sure ...

have you got any other big programs running in the background with arnt needed?

# 8 03-06-2007 , 01:52 AM
when im using maya i dont use anyother programs i Endtask everything not needed including msn and utorrent. however as it seems to be my g card i sholud be able to as im only using 60% of my memory

thanks for the advice

gimme.
# 9 06-06-2007 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
Duh..double post ...me brane nto wurk guud

Last edited by fairygoodtime; 06-06-2007 at 03:03 PM.
# 10 06-06-2007 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
Hiya...
I have just bought a 256mb AGP graphics card for £40 from Blustreak computers Not the most powerful card in the world but I'm hoping that it'll make rotating my frog* a far more smoother process. It's in the Uk and they deliver really quickly..not as quick as Aria..I ordered my new HDD and power supply** from them yesterday and they arrived this morning user added image I see you're in the Uk..I've got a few links to companies that seem to offer good deals on computer bits if you want them. I can only recommend Bluestreak and Aria as they are the only ones I've bought from recently

* I've heard some euphemisms in my time user added image :blush:
**You might need to upgrade your PSU if you buy certain video cards

# 11 06-06-2007 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
"ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series"

Yeah i think it is your video card, it seems to be a very old graphics card and on the cheap side IMO when i just googled and ebayed it. what i recommend is something which has atleast 512mb if possible and is ranged at around $100-$200 like what Architect has mentioned in the earlier posts,