Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 121 30-04-2009 , 12:08 PM
Hammer: Ha ha, guess it did look a bit like a thunderbirds ship, but then saying that, you haven't seen it with all the textured bits on, looks quite a bit different....

The base coat of paint's covered now, bit more detail done, have been doing a few other bits too but I'll save those for a later date....

Attached Thumbnails
# 122 30-04-2009 , 12:22 PM
Subscriber
Im really like this. Textures looking good.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 123 30-04-2009 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
Looking very nice Dango. I like where you are going with this!! I can see you are putting alot of effort and thought into your texturing!! Nice job!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 124 01-05-2009 , 04:05 AM
Thanks antiant , and Tom,
I'm quite happy with how it's coming along, but there's a lot more to do yet so hopefully you'll still think that when it's finished!

Here's a link to the full size version of where I'm up to at the moment:

Big Mother Grubber

# 125 01-05-2009 , 04:12 AM
Subscriber
its a good thing this is all virtual or you would be going through a lot of cans of paint! :p

this latest coat looks quite military-orientated

man... its already may..... i wonder how many entries will finish

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 126 01-05-2009 , 06:40 AM
Nice going Dango, I would say that some of the brown parts on the hi res pictures look like they are wood though and throw off the sense of scale.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 127 01-05-2009 , 01:47 PM
Chirone:
These Grubbs mean business, so I guess the military feel would go with it!
And I hope that more people manage to finish than the last comp, would be nice to end up with a fleet of ships on display, maybe Mike could do his idea he had last time of comping them all together and have a massive space battle going on!

Steve:
Thanks for your good words, the brown does look a bit like wood at the moment but it will change quite a lot over time (don't mean age like wood...lol)
and it'll have a bump put on it soon that should make it look something not dissimilar to snakeskin, and more painting of colour so hopefully that'll sort that side of it out then.
Also I just realised the eccentricity was up and wasn't meant to be, so hopefully that will get rid of the whole shiny wood look.

Last edited by Dango77; 01-05-2009 at 02:51 PM.
# 128 01-05-2009 , 03:38 PM
If I was doing this challenge after creating the UV's I would have looked into making procedural 3d textures for the grunge then gone form there as a basis for the overall dirt and grime as well as the look, bake em and use that as a the basis for the PS work

Then again thats me.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 129 01-05-2009 , 03:46 PM
That's fair enough Steve, I'm not knowledgeable enough on the 3d textures to do anything like that yet, still a maya infant really, but coming from a 2d art background I can paint so that's why I chose this approach, I'll have to look into the 3d textures for future projects though so thanks for giving me that info!

# 130 01-05-2009 , 04:05 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Dango77
it'll have a bump put on it soon that should make it look something not dissimilar to snakeskin

that sounds familiar user added image

# 131 01-05-2009 , 04:16 PM
If it fits with the model Hammer then it fits with the model, fair point that it may have been done before, but I also did say "not dissimilar", not "it'll look like snakeskin".
Anyway, I'm building it the way I first imagined it, if it looks similar to anything that's been done before, well that's probably just influences I've had and isn't intentional, I want it a certain way and that's what's getting done. It's a long way off til it's done so just wait and see what I come up with.

# 132 01-05-2009 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
I like what you are doing. I may not see what it may evolve into, but seems that you are doing a very fine job to me! Keep it up! And sure the Grubs have a lot more to come!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 133 01-05-2009 , 04:32 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Dango77
If it fits with the model Hammer then it fits with the model, fair point that it may have been done before, but I also did say "not dissimilar", not "it'll look like snakeskin".
Anyway, I'm building it the way I first imagined it, if it looks similar to anything that's been done before, well that's probably just influences I've had and isn't intentional, I want it a certain way and that's what's getting done. It's a long way off til it's done so just wait and see what I come up with.

woah easy! i just meant it sounds similar to what i have done. the textures were based on snake skin.

# 134 01-05-2009 , 05:38 PM
Sorry Hammer, I got the wrong idea of what you were saying, thought you were saying that I was copying something that's been done loads of times before!
I do apologise then.
It won't actually look like snakeskin when it's finished, just the same kind of bumpyness. And it won't be the brown colour it is now, that's once again just a base coat to begin with, I like to build the colours up slowly to get the finished result, it's how I was taught to paint so just taking the same method into 3d.
Once again sorry if I went into one a bit....

Thanks Tom, the Grubbs are evolving, hopefully into what I wanted them to be like in the begining, I shall do my best!

# 135 05-05-2009 , 08:42 PM
I've been having a problem with rendering lately, have done quite a bit to the textures but keep getting a message "mentalray out of memory", it works with the some of the render settings lower but it just doesn't look as good so am trying to sort that out before posting anything more.
Hopefully I'll get it sorted!