Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-03-2003 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber

Selfish

Hi!
I have a simple question. I am spending my money and time to learn Maya. Basically I am busting my ASS. Now the guy who works with me just wants to know everything through me.
He never spends a penny on any books or dvd.
Basically he is my competition at work. Should I just tell and show him everything???
He always wants to look at my sketches my designs etc and then I see my ideas in his work.
What should I do????? How do I handle him when he asks me questions about how I made something? Or am I being selfish????

# 2 03-03-2003 , 02:54 PM
Kevin
tell him exactly the opposite to how you actually do it user added image

After a few bad projects he may get the message user added image

# 3 03-03-2003 , 03:00 PM
oh! i know this kind of people (not in maya but in job)...

and it can be horrible!

keep your answers shorter (every time), and if he asks why you just give that short answers: because you are so good now! i'can not teach you anymore (or something like that)

and dont give him your books or dvds, he should buy it hisself....

# 4 03-03-2003 , 03:05 PM
Subscriber
Great idea Kevin.
Thanks guys. I was starting to think that I was a bad/selfish
guy:-)
Kevin by the way really great site...

grrrr
# 5 03-03-2003 , 03:09 PM
Kevin
thank you slick and welcome to SM user added image

# 6 03-03-2003 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber
abra-I don't give him anything. I download the tutorials on my home PC. I keep my books at home.
Actually that is what I do. I keep my answers short. He is like a dog does not give up though.

# 7 03-03-2003 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
Kevin do you run this site full time or do you work somewhere else? Just curious:-)
I finally ordered AE 5.5 today can't wait to get it......:-)

grrrr
# 8 03-03-2003 , 03:14 PM
that's good! else he would think you want to help him!

i know how it is if someone won't give up! (and if you don't like him)...

so, have to go to cinema...

# 9 03-03-2003 , 03:17 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by slickrenderer
Kevin do you run this site full time or do you work somewhere else? Just curious:-)
I finally ordered AE 5.5 today can't wait to get it......:-)

almost mate!

We have simplylightwave.com up and running now as well as 2 others in production, I still do some web design work but want to move to this full time ASAP.

# 10 03-03-2003 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
Kevin last question- I thought you guys were Maya freaks. How come you are starting up on lightwave??? Wasn't Maya enough for you? Is that something that happens automatically once you master one software then you end up moving to another?

grrrr
# 11 03-03-2003 , 03:42 PM
Kevin
no not at all mate - Its all about business and feel that there is a big gap that needs to be filled - I dont think anyone can actually master a programme like this as its never ending...

I personally use maya but others need our help to user added image

# 12 03-03-2003 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber
Yea, theres lots of oppertunities out there, and if the S3D thought comes out good... with many Simply _____ sites.... it could be come huge! Word can spread quickly user added image. As for the pest stealing your stuff.... tell him that, dont just think to yourself, he stole my idea.... instead tell him, "you used that from the drawings i showed you.. do you know thats plagiarism?". That should get him off your ass. Also, sometimes its nice to help people, when they use the info the right way, but to guide the person through the whole process is wrong and you should state that as well.. be upfront with the guy i say user added image. Then again, i can be quite cold hearted at times.. so maybe its not a good idea. user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com