Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 18-03-2003 , 02:21 AM
so.. if you don't mind try to send it to this screen name. I would appreciate it. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 17 18-03-2003 , 02:29 AM
alright, thx

# 18 18-03-2003 , 02:55 AM
i am uploading them on my email and i will send it to u soon, slow connection here^^

# 19 18-03-2003 , 03:02 AM
can't wait to check it out.. I Think it would be really really easy to make it look like a fantastic model. But, Don't want to say for sure, gotta check it out. I will let you know asap!! Looks great Low Poly. user added image
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 20 18-03-2003 , 03:33 AM
cool, so u got all the files? i just send u the pics of the actual car, thx a lot, and, do u use any massger? that would be easier to communicate^^ thx again

# 21 18-03-2003 , 03:48 AM
Thanks alot, got the files fine, i sent you an email requesting the maps to the car they are missing. Let me know if thats ok. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 22 18-03-2003 , 09:59 PM
Well, Here is what I have been able to do... Its taking a long time, worked on it almost an hour. I have really almost had to start from start with the create poplygon tool... If you want I can send you the scene file, I am not sure if I am going to have time to finnish it. at least not soon. Well here is what I did....

First I recomend seperating everything into seperate panels, like in a real car... Fenders, hood all that stuff... To do this, just select the faces and select duplicate face. then delete the faces off of the original geometry, then it will be seperated...
Then, make sure you don't have any edges just sitting in space... Gotta make sure it goes thru to the other side... I also strongly recomend that you try to avoid triangles, try to use as much quads unless its absolutly nessary, becuase when you smooth alot, triangles usually cause unwanted "waves" or bumps...
I start with only one side of the car... when you are sure that the polys are clean enough, then Mirror the polys over to the other side. I usually do this by changing the scale to -1 either x or z depending on witch dirrection the car is facing.. THen, select all of the mirrored faces and go to edit polys, normals, reverse normals. Then, combine the hood bumper and whatever faces need to be one. Then, you have to select the corosponding verticies, and go to merge verticies, under edit polygons, you may have to tweak the # a bit to get it to work, depending on how far apart the two vertecies are...
After it is all cleaned up, then convert a panel to Subd's. There is a chance you get an error, where it says that you have nonmanifold geometry. This is caused by a few reasons, if you attached two different polygons, and you get this error, it is most likely cause by the normals just being backwards on the one of the pieces. Another reason why this might happen is becuase you either have an extra vertex some where, or there are some that are not merged. YOu can select the object, go to Merge verticies, and turn it down to like .001 then merge verticies. There are a few other reasons why it comes up, but that is usually the reason. Try to keep your polys as simple as you can before you convert... THis can become really frustrating trying to figure out the problem (trust me I go thru it all the time) but its really nessary.
After it is converted you have to do a few things. You may notice that your corners are all rounded off. All you have to do is select that corner vertex, and go to Subdivision surfaces,
Full crease edge/vertex, this should make it snap to the correct location.
Now select the edges, where there are supposed to be creases, and make those partial creases. if you don't think its a hard enough edge then just do it again, but I wouldn't recomend doing it more than 2-3 times. If you need a really really hard edge, just pic full crease instead of partial crease.

Hmm.. think that should keep you busy for a while, my fingers are getting tirred, lol. I will continue later but, thats just about it anyways GL
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 23 18-03-2003 , 10:12 PM
wow, thats looking good, it finally looks like how it is suppose to be, wow, thx brian, let me see some more updates later, thx

# 24 18-03-2003 , 10:28 PM
oh i see, so you are gonna send me back the file and have me work on it? i can try as i read ur little tutor about seperating it, i have thought about doing it, but then the problem is when i think about how am i gonna put them back into one piece, not sure how and also, will i be modeling with sud division or polygon? coz from what i see, after u edit it, it looks very different form the one before that i made, it's all smooth and with no bumps on the faces, and i also wonder what those mel scripts are for, coz i see people can render out some good quality pics, do those mel scripts matter? i really hope u can help me with all this, i wanna be able to model a realistic car, and have my friend animate it, i would be glad if u can try continue working on it or u can send me the file and i can work on it with ur help...um....oh yeah, about the hard edges, so ....like for the hood, it's not suppose to be all rounded up, so how do u make it partly smooth and partly not, maybe u have already explained it, but i didn't get it, sorry, can u explain it again or...give me a sample file to look at? i learn fast by looking through sample files, anyways, thanks for your time and help, i truely appreciate it, thanks brian

pErry

# 25 19-03-2003 , 08:51 PM
please help, kevin, brian!! help!

# 26 19-03-2003 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mr2turbosw20
please help, kevin, brian!! help!

just one thing, a little advice. please do not expect others to finish off your work. it is ok when you get feedback, get advice if something is off, but it seams to me like "help help help, do it for me". you should be happy and proud that brian did take the time and even done some work on your model.

# 27 19-03-2003 , 11:57 PM
Kevin
also by taking what brain has already said and trying some techniques ... it will improve you no end!

and I simply dont have that much time mate... I only have a few mins a day for anything that I would like to work on, sorry

We are in the process of getting a car tutorial together to go into the shop ...so stay tuned

# 28 20-03-2003 , 12:02 AM
Thanks Baby duck.
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 29 24-06-2003 , 09:37 PM
Very good mini tut Brian. Should help a lot of people.
Including me. user added image

# 30 24-06-2003 , 10:26 PM
no prob, any other questions, just ask on my monthly challenge or Pm me user added image
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!