Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-09-2007 , 02:06 AM

need help with performance please!

Hi,

I just picked up maya, and have done a model. Thing was fine untill i started to apply texture.

Well, I applied a checker texture, and my maya rans extreamly slow! My model is no way considered a hi res, and so does the default checker texture. My pc spec as below:

P4, 3G CPU, 1G Ram

It should b more than enuf to work on texturing rite?? Or is it i need to do some optimization for my maya programme folder? can anyone help me on this?

Thank you.....

pkok
www.1000tentacles.com

# 2 01-09-2007 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
Hi,

you could be experiencing problems from a number of things....

1: Hardware..... your graphics card may not be up to the job or, if it is adequate, try installing the latest driver.

2: if you have the display renderer set to High Quality Rendering it could be slowing things down.

3: if you've got the Hardware Texturing Resolution for the shader to the highest resoution it may slow your system down.

I hope that it is one of these things as I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Nice site by the way,

Mat.

# 3 01-09-2007 , 05:31 AM
I'd go with number 1 that mat said.

One other thing it might be, have you deleted the history on the model? That might help as it could be carrying a lot of weight in the history and the application of a texture might have been the straw thats broke the camels back.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 01-09-2007 , 04:36 PM
I'm using a GeForce 6600. Not sure if this card has anything against maya or not........ The texture is the default checker texture, and don't think caused by it....It used to b no problem when i try out the texturing during a few practices i had....

Do you guys think installing the maya will save the situition?

pkok

# 5 01-09-2007 , 06:05 PM
Subscriber
Hello again,

The Ge-Force series are really gaming cards and are not qualified for Maya. ALthough the newer gaming cards (high end ge-force and radeon) are filtering onto the qualification charts they can still create quite a few issues with the display performance.

Check the qualification charts HERE just click on the version of Maya that you're using.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 6 01-09-2007 , 09:19 PM
Hey mat,gster

Run a search for the qualification for maya, don't c my GeForce6600 card fits into the chart for maya 8.5..............

I did a couple of practices for texturing using simple geometry, it seems ok, and won't bog down the pc performance. Once i used my current model, the whole thing went upside down. I am working on this model, https://www.1000tentacles.com/gallery_3D.htm
The fish-space ship

Is it convinient if i upload the model , and you guys test the model ? See if yr pc can load textures n it is really my card has problem here? Sorry if it is too troublesome.

Thanks.

pkok

# 7 01-09-2007 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
No problems,

if you save the model as .ma file type so that I can open it in Maya 8 and then upload it I'll be happy to have a try.

Mat.

# 8 01-09-2007 , 09:54 PM
hey Mat,

I am using maya 8.5 btw. Hope it's ok?

I will send the file to yr google mail.

Thanks a lot!

pkok

Last edited by pkok; 01-09-2007 at 10:28 PM.
# 9 01-09-2007 , 11:11 PM
HAve you tried deleting the history?

Some thines it builds up with no probs then Wham! Slowdown (or it does on my PC!)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 01-09-2007 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber
pkok,

I got the model and have mailed my sollution to your yahoo address.

Steve, I tried deleting the history but it did nothing, I think that it's just a processor intensive shape (NURBS aren't really my forte though so I couldn't say for sure) when I rebuilt it as a poly it was fine.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 11 02-09-2007 , 02:00 AM
Hey Mat,

Thank you so much, now it works! I rebuild the surface as u mentioned , turning it into polygon, n now the pc works fine.

Guess working in polygon is a good idea.....

Really appreciates the comments n helpful feedbacks from you guys, thx mat, gster!

pkok

Last edited by pkok; 02-09-2007 at 02:07 AM.
# 12 02-09-2007 , 02:06 AM

Originally posted by gster123
HAve you tried deleting the history?

Some thines it builds up with no probs then Wham! Slowdown (or it does on my PC!)

Hi gster,

The issue has been solved by turning the nurb surface to polygon base, like Mat mentioned. Now it works nicely. Thanks for you help user added image You guys really helpful user added image user added image

pkok

# 13 02-09-2007 , 02:55 AM
Subscriber
Glad it works,

in general I steer clear of NURBS, mainly through ignorance though as I understand that they are a very powerful modelling tool.

I might use them sometimes to rough out a model but will then convert it to poly and work between poly and Sub-d to get the final model.

Good luck with your texturing,

Mat.