Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-01-2008 , 07:52 PM

First time modelling

Hey peoples! Long-time compositor, first-time 3D modeler here.

Been watching a few tutorials, reading some posts here... interesting stuff! So, to test Maya out, I tried modeling Apple's Mighty Mouse. Unsuccessfully, of course.

What I'm trying to do:
user added image

What I did:
user added image
Trying using a loft here, but couldn't figure out how to fill in the sides.

user added image
Used a weird revolve here and a few attempts at doing the side buttons.

How would you do this? Any tips, suggestions, words of discouragement?

Last edited by soopernub42; 30-01-2008 at 07:56 PM.
# 2 30-01-2008 , 11:36 PM
I think I'd start with a polygon sphere, and stretch it untill I like the shape. Then use boleans to get the indent where the buttons are, and then take half a sphere for the button (if it's a button user added image ) on the top, and then try to figure something out for the button on the side.

I'm not an expert on modelling though, and I believe that some people on this board hate boleans, but that was the first way I thought of, and you should be able to get the basic shape right pretty easily.

Good luck user added image

...but that was when I ruled the world
# 3 31-01-2008 , 08:34 AM
ahh! gotcha... thanks - looks a lot better user added image

user added image

# 4 31-01-2008 , 08:49 AM
Jr.Who
Looks like a cool project. It would be awesome if you rendered it in Maxwell.
user added image

# 5 31-01-2008 , 09:37 AM
Subscriber
Not sure on your level of experience, if your starting to learn recommend Lynda.com ...best tutorials I found for beginners in maya and cost is 25 a month.

Also recommend using a image as a reference guide when creating your object. Cant recall off the top my head where go to insert it into maya.

Or just sticking my foot in my mouth here , lol

But awesome try and wish you best of luck

# 6 31-01-2008 , 12:35 PM
JrWho - for a second, I thought you were talking about the coffee. Hehe, I'll look up some info on Maxwell.

Thomas - thanks user added image This was the first thing I did when I opened up Maya, so I have zero experience with 3D animation.
Oh, Lynda. I started out learning almost everything I know now from Lynda - Final Cut, Shake, etc... I'm plowing through the Maya Essential Training as I type user added image

# 7 02-02-2008 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, maya tutorial on there with George Maestri is very helpful and like the way he does not rush when teaching.

Almost not watch the video and just listen and follow along.

Cant wait to see your new results!