Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-03-2005 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber

Annoying problem

Hey guys and gals, i am very new to maya but this site does help alot user added image
Ive been doing a tutorial on animating a seal bounce a ball on his head and have been doing relatively ok untill now. Im stuck on the stupidist thing. I have my seal built and have just added IK handles to the flippers and an IK spline. All i want to do is key it so they flippers stay stationary on the ground when i move the spline - but it doesnt seem to matter what i do because they just follow the rest of the skeleton.
I know this is such a silly random problem but it is driving me insane. Please help me if you can

Thank you

Ps. pleased to meet you all user added image

# 2 27-03-2005 , 12:03 AM
i've never animated anything before but i watched the tutorials..

did u parent them right? the joint on body to flipper should be parent and tip of flipper should be child.. then moving child should not move the body-flipper joint.

If that is what you did, but it moves any ways. do not key the Y axis movement of the body-flipper joint.

sorry if that doesn't work too. Im just focusing on head modeling so i haven't gotten chance to animate anythign yet.

# 3 27-03-2005 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber

Re: Annoying problem

Originally posted by ginga_boy85
Hey guys and gals, i am very new to maya but this site does help alot user added image
Ive been doing a tutorial on animating a seal bounce a ball on his head and have been doing relatively ok untill now. Im stuck on the stupidist thing. I have my seal built and have just added IK handles to the flippers and an IK spline. All i want to do is key it so they flippers stay stationary on the ground when i move the spline - but it doesnt seem to matter what i do because they just follow the rest of the skeleton.
I know this is such a silly random problem but it is driving me insane. Please help me if you can

Thank you

Ps. pleased to meet you all user added image

once you set a key on the ik handles they will stay planted to the ground.

# 4 27-03-2005 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber
this the last tutorial from the foundation book learning maya? by any chance? if it is i remember that- it nearly drove me insane!

# 5 28-03-2005 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
It is from a PDF i downloaded called Learning Maya yes. I really dont know what to do. thank you for your advise guys but its still not working user added image im gunna flip soon cos i cant really finish it without doing this bit. I am doing everything right i swear.

This is what happens when i try to keep the flippers stationary......

# 6 28-03-2005 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber
hmmm, ok posting screen didnt work, lol